Different spring perch locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Hello everyone, I was looking at a 7.5 rear end to purchase from facebook and noticed that the spring perches were placed forward of the axle tube vs my old one which was directly on top of the axle tube. What's the reason for this? Would it still be okay to use if the original had the spring perches on top? any information is appreciated, thanks!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The reason is the rear end you are looking at is not a Gbody rear end so what ever it is from means it will not be a direct bolt in.
Do you have a link to the FB rear end?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That's not a G body rear.

See the 4 bolt drum brake bolt flange and the top ears are closer and more to the top.

It's probably a collonade A body or B body rear axle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
As I stated not a Gbody rear end, so are looking to replace your 7.5 with another 7.5 or does your car not have a rear end at all?

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Keen observation! I was just looking for a cleaner one as mine has rusted into almost nothing, especially the spring perches. Always enjoy learning on this site, thanks for the replies!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Keen observation! I was just looking for a cleaner one as mine has rusted into almost nothing, especially the spring perches. Always enjoy learning on this site, thanks for the replies!
Most rusty rear ends will clean up pretty well, the housing and axle tubes are relatively thick, while backing plates, rear cover and spring perches are thinner you could either fabricate some perches or buy some new replacement spring perches and weld them on.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Hard to tell from that picture, but the bulge in the rear cover does not look right. the 7.5 was kind of a flatish looking cover. That has a noticeable ring gear bulge. I would want a picture from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor