Status
Not open for further replies.

michael_boomin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2020
doing a rear disc conversion and can’t get the rear diff cross rod out. the retaining bolt has been pulled but i cannot get it out. i’ve tapped on it and used the magnet technique and still can’t get it out. looking for any tips

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you get the whole bolt/pin out? Should look like this, they often are broken off

1618636645819.png

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
doing a rear disc conversion and can’t get the rear diff cross rod out. the retaining bolt has been pulled but i cannot get it out. i’ve tapped on it and used the magnet technique and still can’t get it out. looking for any tips
WONDERING IF YOU EVER GOT IT TO COME OUT NICELY OR IF YOU HAD TO CUT THE DIFF OUT .. THATS WHT IM DOIN AS WE SPEAK MY CROSS PIN WAS FICTION F**CKED IN THE SPIDERS BUNCH OF METAL PUSHING OUT OF THE SPIDER AND PIN AND WOULD ONLY MOVE 1/4" ..

michael_boomin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2020
WONDERING IF YOU EVER GOT IT TO COME OUT NICELY OR IF YOU HAD TO CUT THE DIFF OUT .. THATS WHT IM DOIN AS WE SPEAK MY CROSS PIN WAS FICTION F**CKED IN THE SPIDERS BUNCH OF METAL PUSHING OUT OF THE SPIDER AND PIN AND WOULD ONLY MOVE 1/4" ..
didn’t get it out. l decided to get a whole new rear and

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
We used to take a good punch and a big hammer and knock the crap out of the pin. The screw is hardened and would break

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
not having any pin removal issues i was able to get the pin out no problem and it wasnt broken . yea i tried hammer trick too . i have pulled a many of axles for reseals but this will be my first pin to not just fall out .. i can turn it in its place but once i started hammer time it wont turn .. unless i put it to pin install depth, flush so i have a gen2 torsen and ls1 rear disc setup.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, never heard of not getting the lock pin out. Spin it so the bolt hole end is facing out, then stick your hand inside the diff and push the pin towards you. Then grab it with a set of vice grips.
Have done more than a 100 like that.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
not having any pin removal issues i was able to get the pin out no problem and it wasnt broken . yea i tried hammer trick too . i have pulled a many of axles for reseals but this will be my first pin to not just fall out .. i can turn it in its place but once i started hammer time it wont turn .. unless i put it to pin install depth, flush so i have a gen2 torsen and ls1 rear disc setup.
So you’re planning to use a G-body housing with LS1 rear brakes and a Torsen from a GM 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor