MALIBU Digi Tail conversion for '81'83 Malibu-question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased a kit from Digi Tails, to convert the '81-'83 Malibu taillights to LEDs. As I look at the taillight housings, it looks like the outer lenses are somehow bonded to the back part of the housing, where the original bulbs plug in. The instructions that come with the kit don't mention anything about removing or reinstalling the outer lenses. Does anyone here know of a way to separate the outer lens from the housing with minimal to no breakage? Small cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool? Perhaps heating a utility knife and trying to gently cut through the bonded areas? Also, what would be the best way of reassembly? Crazy glue? Anyone here who has done this before? Thanks in advance.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’m attempting to make a set of custom taillights for my 84 MC, the factory housings were melted together rather than glued like modern housings. The only way to get them apart is to cut the reflector portion of the taillights off and make your own panel for the digi tails, but that basically ruins the lights permanently. For the Monte Carlo taillights anyway.

Aftermarket housings might be glued together with butyl that can be softened enough in a 120 degree (give or take) oven and pulled apart, then resealed with new butyl tape.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Oh and don’t use a dremel to cut them apart if you go that route- that’ll melt plastic rather than cut. You’ll want some sort of saw. Possibly one for large scale model work.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks very much for your help UC645. I've seen Monte Carlo taillight housings that were sealed with butyl to the lenses and some clips. The Malibu taillights look like the lenses have been either glued to the housings, or possibly "fused" on somehow. The only way that I can see to separate them, would be to very carefully cut them apart in those areas. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this before.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jeff,
They would generally provide some instructions on how to safely dissect the two halves of the housing and re-glue them again. I recall seeing something on their site explaining the procedure on the wagon/ El Camino taillights. I'm sure the same would apply on the Malibu coupe/ sedan lenses.
Perhaps Jim will chime in on how he did his wagon taillights.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Jack. I posed the same question on the Facebook G body group here in Ontario. One of the guys did the Digi Tail conversion on a Buick GN. He used a heat gun, to warm up the seam area around the lenses, then VERY SLOWLY used small plastic wedge type tools to GENTLY pry the lens away from the housing. He said it look him about 1 hour for each taillight, to get the lenses off. I just tried the backup lens on 1 of my taillights, using a similiar method. He's very correct. You have to go slow, and be very patient. I broke a small piece off 1 corner of the lens. I believe I can glue the broken piece back onto the lens, and it won't be visible once the taillight is assembled. It is some crazy kind of adhesive that GM used to put these taillights together! This will be a slow process. Also, according to the instructions, you have to modify the existing taillight harness for the conversion. I thought it would be more of a "plug & play" conversion. I'm not a big fan of modifying the original harness. I may fabricate a harness for this conversion instead.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jeff,
I guess it would depend what GM used to bond the sections together. I think in some cases they used something similar to 3M strip caulk. If that's the case, then that could be gently heated and split apart. I'm guessing in many they used a type of epoxy. I did catch part of a video where the guy was doing the lenses on hid GN. He carefully pried and worked around it with a flat blade screw driver. I think his lenses used the caulking.
I think if it's bonded together with epoxy, you might have to use either a heated blade or a fine Dremel type tool/ cutoff wheel..

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I did the conversion,I cut the lenses with a dremel along the seam,it took a little while but it wasn't bad.the instructions dictates using rtv to adhere the led board to the lense. it's worked for me.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all of the replies so far.
Jack, I'm thinking it must be some kind of epoxy. It was a very fine bead (maybe 1/16") of adhesive holding the reverse light lens to the housing, and it was very strong, much stronger than strip caulk. Maybe whatever it is gets harder as it gets older, I'm not sure. I do know that it doesn't want to let go.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I did the conversion,I cut the lenses with a dremel along the seam,it took a little while but it wasn't bad.the instructions dictates using rtv to adhere the led board to the lense. it's worked for me.
Chris,
I forgot you mentioning having the Dig-tail lights. Cutting the lens housing with a Dremel is the answer, and then sealing the two halves together when the conversion is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor