Digit Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
For 1979 Malibu.

I would love to go that route with autometer(Invision LCD 7005), but unfortunately they only offer it for the 82-87 monte/malibu/el camino... is the entire mounting gauge pod that much different from the 78-81 models?

The only alternative would be is to go with Dakota Digital(VHX-78C-MAL) (pic 1) and its $200 cheaper, i'll admit, the mechanical gauge look is just as nice, but i like the actual numbered readout from the gauge look i prefer from autometer(pic 2).

Attachments

• dakota digital.jpg
    dakota digital.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 74
  • autometer 7005.jpg
    autometer 7005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 86

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe contact Autometer and find out what is different for the older years, maybe just a simple mod and it will work.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I could do that... just thought i'd ask if anyone knew for sure about the mounting gauge pod difference between the years besides the obvious early year rectangular speedo style versus the later year multiple guage style setup.

Its just too bad this autometer unit is isnt straight up 78-88 compatable, if im correct, the 82-87 models came with an ECM and may need some connection to it for it to operate correctly, i dunno, so maybe thats the catch where as the 78-81 didnt have one, but that shouldnt really have to matter IMO, and also seeing one would have to mod the front panel to put the washer and headlight switches in.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I saw this question on their site:

WILL THIS KIT FIT AN 88 MONTE CARLO ​

Asked by: Ewill
This is meant for the 82-87 Monte Carlo, we do not have information at this time if it would properly work on an 88.
Answered by: Thomas From AutoMeter
Date published: 2022-03-29

There would be no reason this wouldn't work on an 88' but they don't list 88' , This might be as simple as an A and G body designation thing or like the nothing fits a Cutlass Supreme.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I read through AUTOMETER's question/answer page... a question was asked about pre 82 malibu, the answer was no, autometers says it will not fit the longer rectangular speedo cars, other than that, no real explaination was given why exactly.

But i tell ya, externally, the gauge pods on 78-88 look all the same to me, with the exeption of the internals with multiple gauge(tach/oil/water/voltmeter) with off to the side idiot lights setup and ECM on 82 on up models, again, perhaps this setup uses inputs from the ECM and its sensors instead of just temp/oil switches the pre 82 cars were using, you could just swap out the switches to actual oil pressure/water temp sensors with your own add input for the voltmeter, but no doubt the calibration could be off, at least Dakoda Dikota supplies all the sensors(oil/water/speed) needed to be full functional,

EDIT - Ok, i missed the part where it comes with its own sensors, but no speed sensor, that sold sepreately, no mention of ECM hookups, really dont need to even if you rip it out, so i see no reason why this shouldnt fit the pre 82 models, again, unless the the mounting for the external gauge pod mounting is somehow different.

Read what it says at the top of the PDF file contrary to what autometer says. smh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor