HELP Disc Brake Conversion Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here is another part number for the right hand drive S10 with a 1.0" bore master cylinder.

RAYBESTOS MC390572
Truth be known, it's likely the OEM for ACDelco. Since they hardly build anything themselves any more.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You have a 78, which if you have the stock booster, the Impala SS, LHD S10, or later caprice master will NOT fit. There is a pilot on the booster that the master slides into that increased in size in 82 or 83. You can't put a 83+ aluminum body master in a car that had a cast iron master.

I put a 90 caprice wagon master on my 86 2+2 that helped when I did the disk conversion. I agree I had the same issue as you. Very poor rear braking with the stock master. I swapped the proportioning valve first and it did nothing. I read into the fact that drum masters have check balls installed to keep some residual pressure in the rear and drilled that out and still had bad rear brakes. I installed that larger bore B body master and it helped.

Raybestos MC39079 is for 79-81 rivs and toros with disk/disk setups. I had it on my 80 Century and it fit. 1" bore. The disk/drum cars have the same master as a typical G body so you need to get the disk/disk for the larger bore. 77-81 WS6 trans ams have a large disk/disk bore master also but they have a cast iron revivor that I don't really like.

Looks like the Raybestos is out of stock on Rock auto but they have these options too.
1610550732447.png

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks 81Cutlass. I crossed referenced the trans am masters that are listed above, and the AC Delco master is the same part number as the Riviera master that i just ordered. I actually put the raybestos in my cart but it kicked me out because it wasn't in stock. I'm starting to feel confident now that I'm getting the right part. I think I will be able to start pi**ing off my neighbors with this car pretty soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I have to thank everyone that helped me out with this project. I was pulling my hair out, and I don't have that much to start with. I got the Riv MC from RockAuto at 11am, and I had it bled, put on, and the lines bled by noon. With working rear calipers!!!!!! So many of these posts I've noticed don't always have closure, but I'm here to say that the 80 Riviera Master (rear disc model) is a solution for the disc brake conversion from Quick Performance. The pedal is not as hard as my daily driver Malibu, but my DD Malibu is 35 years newer than my project car Malibu. Thanks again everyone. You guys are the greatest!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
The big tip off was that the reservoir was so much deeper than the disc/drum master.
She's about to move under her own power since who knows when. I've had her for a year.

20210115_131949.jpg
20210115_131956.jpg
20210115_132211.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Lincoln7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2019
Virginia
Looks good! Thanks for following up. How do the brakes feel now? Fronts locking up first? Is that an Iron or aluminum MC? (Looks like Fe)

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Actually, I still wasn't satisfied, so I got the 1.125" bore all iron master from a 80 trans am. I haven't put it in yet because it's been colder than hell here in Michigan. Hopefully third time is a charm. The Riviera MC gave me brakes, but I still wasn't satisfied with the pedal feel. I'll update this post once I get this one on. I have to replace the old leaking 605 steering gear too, so it might be a little while.

gearheaddrew

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2019
Bay City MI
Actually, I still wasn't satisfied, so I got the 1.125" bore all iron master from a 80 trans am. I haven't put it in yet because it's been colder than hell here in Michigan. Hopefully third time is a charm. The Riviera MC gave me brakes, but I still wasn't satisfied with the pedal feel. I'll update this post once I get this one on. I have to replace the old leaking 605 steering gear too, so it might be a little while.
I put blazer brakes on the front of my 78 Malibu, wondering if that RIV master would benefit my setup vs the stock master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor