Disc conversion proportioning valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
I recently installed a new rear end into my '78 Malibu. The new rear end came with 11" disc brakes, but the car itself came with front disc and rear drums from factory. I ran into issues using the stock proportioning valve and master cylinder. After searching around online, there are proportioning valves marketed towards disc/disc conversions, claiming that is the only mod you need, while others say you also need a different master cylinder. Is it possible to get away with just a new proportioning valve and a stock master?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm running a similar set up,i have a later model master(86-87) with the disk/disk conversion valve and it has been enough for me.on a whim i installed the adjustable one years ago but haven't had to use it at all.the rear brakes are yet to lock up on me even in the rain.if i was going to do it allover again i wouldn't off added the adjustable one.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For sure.

Regarding the master cylinder, you need to upgrade when you put on front calipers that require more fluid so as to not have a deep pedal. It probably will be a little deeper, meaning closer to the floor before the brakes begin to apply, with just the rear disc upgrade, but will still work.

I ran C5 front brakes with both stock drum and metric discs on the rear with the original proportioning valve without much of an issue. The last upgrade I did was to put on the disc/disc proportioning valve and it was hardly a noticeable difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor