Disc to drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'm sure you are used to reading drums to discs.

This started months ago when I had Moser build me a 12 bolt rear. I requested GM ends so I could reuse my original drum brakes. I understand the benefits of discs but wanted the power of drums to hold the car back as no $$ for transbrake in the budget here. They could not built it with GM ends since the bearing is too small. So it was built with GM metric calipers with 11" rotors and all the brackets to make it fit.
The fit was impressive, got it all bolted on. Then my original Grand National 15" rims would not fit. Puzzled since so many have got this to work, even my 15" Centerline Draglite fit on. The specific issue is GN steel wheels are built with a reverse drop bead.

Many considerations were made to change the wheel to either a G Bodyparts.com 15" GN replica wheel, a 16" GNX wheel, which I like but concerned with availability of 16" tires, Billit Specialties has a wheel but it's a modern look of a GN wheel. I want original.

The resolutions, 11" Ford Explorer drum brakes with a set of drums drilled for the GM 4.75" pattern. Not quite an upgrade but it's bigger than the 9.5" that were on here the old school guys here that know servo action, will understand.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
What about the 73-77 gm 11” drums. Would that have been a possibility?
I have wondered about a similiar upgrade for years, wondering why nobody offered an 11" drum brake upgrade, for those people who wanted better braking, without going to rear disc brakes. The 11" rear drum brakes are common on the mid '70s GM colonnade A body cars, and you keep the 5 by 4 3/4" bolt circle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The rear housing has big Ford ends and bearings. This is necessary to rid of the c clips. Aside from adding c clip eliminators kits. ( Those are a crap add on that often leaks.)
Not only Ford ends but the offset is no longer GM.

I suppose a 73 - 77 11" drum from a big GM would be an option if you have a stock rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor