Disk/Disk Master Cylinder Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Thought this would be good info for rear disk conversion on the fluid side.

I ran my disk rear converted car (98-02 s10) about 5 miles last night and noticed by rear brakes get HOT. I still have stock 1986 G body proportioning valve and master. I thought I could get away running the stock stuff but I have a 150 mile round trip to the hot rod power tour sunday so didnt want to play around with crap brakes.

Its semi common knowledge but the drum prop valve puts too little pressure to the rear for 4 wheel disk. A 4 wheel disk car does not need a prop valve due to it having the same brake system (in the same way a disk drum needs pressure split). Yeah, an adjustable one helps for the fine tuning but the large difference proportioning valve we are all familiar with for disk drum isn't needed.

You can convert disk drum stock parts to disk disk for free BUT I wasn't able to. The firewall side of the master has a 10psi check valve in to keep the rear drums pumped up. The issue is it drags the rear pads and gets hot. Need to get rid of that. My stock master also had really crappy feel, 7/8 bore just isn't enough for s10 rear disks. I had decent feel for the first 1/2 of what you expect but there wasn't enough flow and it bottomed out. The brakes were awesome when it had disk drum. Went disk/disk and it got crappy.

The prop valve that is easy to covert is a bendix style, cpp has a chart online PDF you can download that shows you what to remove, it's just a plastic check ball or something on the rear side. The little black thing in the top drawing below.

A g body has a kelsey hayes prop valve which (from what I know) isn't convertible like bendix one.

If anyone can see what to gut on the kelsey hayes let the world know.
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/1979-gm-kh-combo-valve-autopsy

Combination_valve-_Kelsey_Hayes_and_Bendix.jpg

Master I want to get is a 96 impala SS with 4 wheel disk. I looked and a 3rd, 4th gen f body or 98+ s10 master won't work (even if they are all disk) since the ports come out the engine side of the body not the fender side. Unless you want to redo your brake lines gotta stay with a 2nd gen 4wheel disk car, C3, or G or B body. Problem is a 2nd gen is the big ugly cast iron one. Can't go very new because you go from old G body standard SAE flare to bubble flare metric.

The caprice SS has metric bubble fittings not standard G body SAE flare. It also might need a different push rod? Not sure.
https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t153p25-gm-8-5-10-bolt-swap-from-a-96-impala-ss

You are supposed to be able to convert the stock G body master to disk disk by removing the rear male brass press fit flare fitting inside the master by putting a wood screw into it and just pulling it out. Then pull the spring and check valve and put the flare back in. Also can put a machine screw after drill and tapping it. I would suggest that, it broke the screw flush in mine and its shot now after broken fitting extractors and broken drills. Oops. Now my master is junk.

Is there an aluminum/plastic GM SAE flare fitting master that has at least 1" bore diameter that bolts on with correct line output location available? I think the impala SS is the easiest one. I also read they use a different pushrod for the pedal, is that true?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Another good one for info sake.
picture_php_pictureid_45235_30b7ce360f435589fd52a3472df56e99c8589b6c_zpsc6f07218.jpg

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Why could one not use a WS6 disc/disc proportioning valve?

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have this in the wagon:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rsd-pv72/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-760185/overview/

I have used the B-body master (80s large bore) in my Buick which was raced, but I am currently running the stock G-body unit in the wagon and it works fine for street duty. I have been told that an LS1 master w/bubble flare adapters is also a great option for a factory feel.

I have Wilwood's instructions for modifying the stock prop valve for 4 wheel discs at home, it just involves pulling out a couple of internal parts. Nothing crazy.

If your rear brakes are hot there is definitely a mechanical issue in play.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I have an s-10 master cylinder,aftermarket prop valve, brass one, 35.00, 98-02 Camaro rear brakes and converted to hydyoboost got a stock reman one from rock auto and s-10 front brakes on the front the reason I used the s-10 master cylinder is the one inch bore the camaro and s-10 both have disk disk option and one inch bore I figured it would be really well matched since gm did all the engineering for me lol and it fits in the hydroboost unit and I was right,works awesome and cost very little

• Useful

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
i have the same 98-02 rear blazer disc brakes new master and stock proportion valve rear brakes dont drag at all and stop just fine
I was really surprised how well these brakes work on a g body and the how much it changed the pedal feel

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I used an 85 Trans Am 4 wheel disc master, bolted on to the Monte power booster, the dimple for the pushrod was the same depth as the Monte, and used a Summit (Wilwood if you pull the summit sticker off the body) inline on the rears, with a brass tee on the front lines. I do believe the fittings in the master are metric.
IMG_2578.JPG

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Lot of discussion on this same topic over on thirdgen.org. I have a master and prop valve from a '87 formula 350 parts car I had, but the master with it's larger bore would not fit in my booster so I just decided to go with what was on the car and see if it would work. Also didn't feel like running new brake lines to use the disk/disk prop off that car. So far I have no complaints. I have read where some people have problems with the rear brakes dragging when using stock g-body brake components and some say they work just fine. My rears don't drag any more than a properly adjusted drum setup does. Maybe I just got lucky with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor