Distributor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
My car 1984 monte carlo ss with a stock 305 was running and idling rough. I replaced sparkplugs new (acdelco) brand new spark plug wires and a new distributor. Before I took out the old distributor I marked were the rotor was pointing . The new distributor went in but was not exactly pointing to the mark from the previous one as much as I messed with it I couldn't get it exact its close. How do I check to make sure everything is were it should be including the timing. My battery died so ill be charging it for tomorrow. The pic is were the old one was pointing in the red line the blue is about were the new one points .

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
here are the pics

Attachments

• 20220804_185329.jpg
    20220804_185329.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220804_193827.jpg
    20220804_193827.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 71

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looks like you got it a tooth off. If it was CLOSE to what you had, you can check to see if it's more retarded or advanced to where you had it and when you put it all back together and start to crank it, you can keep the distributor clamp bolt a little loose so you can turn the housing in the direction you need while cranking until the engine starts. Check to make sure the wiring harness will give you the room to do that. Then you can at least hook up a timing light, ground your CCC lead, and do whatever else (ECS on Montes??) that is necessary for setting the base timing.

If all else fails, you can always take it out, move it one tooth over and check it again. I know chevy has the stupid slot in the pump drive so that's a pita, but it is what it is. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do the job until it's done right.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If the distributor gear is not fully engaged on the oil pump drive rod the distributor will still go in further and the gear will turn that last little bit turning the rotor with it.

Looks like you have it correct. Just need to get the oil pump rod engaged. Lay the cap on do NOT hook up the power wires Gently push down on the center of the cap, turn over the engine till you feel the distributor drop about 3/8 of an inch.

Put the distributor hold down on, button up the cap and power wires and it should start.

Being off a tooth is a lot more than what you are dealing with here.

Reactions: 1 user

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
The distributor did fall all the way down i even tried messing with the pump rod shaft by sticking a long screw driver to try and align it to match the end of the distributor. My battery died so ill be starting it tomorrow I just wanted to get an idea of what I should expect if something moved or went in wrong or if it is fine .

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looks close enough to me. There are 13 teeth on the gear that's a bit over 27 degrees per tooth you are no where near 27 degrees off more like 3 or 4 degrees.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can use a oil pump priming tool to align the oil pump shaft slot.

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
Im here today trying to start the monte carlo with the new distributor installed . I charged my battery the night before so it is fully charged. Turned the key and it cranks but wont start and it sounds like my battery gets drained right away . The firs try I was able to get it to start but it wouldn't stay running after a couple more trys it just won't start it just cranks . Maybe the new distributor is taking up more juice from the battery to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor