Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I bought my 100.00 princess 3 years ago. I rebuilt and replaced just about everything but her tail lights. Wish I knew about this site back then, lots of good pointers here. Since I've owned this car, I've pulled the (old owners built 350) motor twice. Once for the rebuild (I added forged pistons, port and polished the heads, bigger cam, new intake & double chain), the second time was to reseal the oil pan and timing chain cover (again). Approaching a third oil pan gasket, this is turning into an annual maintenance, although the oil leak is minimal for a gen 1, I feel like it's never going to stop. So naturally, new motor time. While I'm at it, why not new transmission? LS1 or LT1 (the search that brought me here) & T56 or TKO 600? I'm in the military, so my budget is tight, i'm looking for horsepower. Thoughts?

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
That's what I have currently, thick 'ol gasket too. It's where the timing chain cover and the pan meet where I have issues.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I have used and re-used them w/o any problems for years - Do you have a bolt or plug in your fuel pump rod hole??

Last edited:

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I also have not had any problem with the one pieces gaskets. If your going to do a swap other then the Gen 1 then you will need three thing to get it done. TIME $$$$$$ and lots of EXPERIENCE.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It is possible either the oil pan or the timing cover is messed up, preventing a good seal. I don't have any oil leak problems with the 1 piece gasket on my 305. Did you torque the pan correctly to prevent squeezing the gasket out? The good one piece pan gaskets have torque limiters molded into the bolt holes to prevent over torquing and squeezing the gasket out.

With the LS motors, you have to carefully align the pan up flat with the back of the block and not rip the o-ring for the built in oil pickup tube. The LT engine are pretty much like gen 1 SBCs and would have a similar oil pan setup.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also use a Fel Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket but as a secondary precautionary measure after I am done torquing the bolts I silicone the gap between the block and pan all the way around which also keeps it from leaking if your pan bolts loosen up.
Also check the front seal on the timing cover over time it can wear a slight groove on the balancer that will cause a small leak.

Last edited:

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
All these are things I have thought were the problems the first time. New timing chain cover, new oil pan, one piece gasket, rtv around the trouble areas. There's still the tiniest oil leak in the same exact spot less than a year later. I have decided to swap the engine... ls or lt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor