DIY crank polishing, or just Pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Anyone ever done it? Crank is in good shape. Has some very faint scoring, from dirty oil i assume. No spun bearings, crank spun like butter. Was wondering what I could use to polish it myself and take the glaze off. Or should I just pay my local machine shop the ~50 simoleons to do it for me? I was thinking a soft rag (lint free microfiber?) and some metal polish with the crank set on some V notch wood chocks. What say you guys?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Safer just to have a shop do it, just had the crank for my 350 cleaned & polished. Got the vets discount of $40.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
No sense and risking it for the measly $50 or whatever shops charge. Save the hassle and the headache and do it right.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the cost of the metal polish, set up time and the time you spend polishing it spending $50 for a better job than you can do is more than worthwhile

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I’ve “polished” the journals of my crank with emery cloth and a little motor oil just to clean them up a bit. Haven’t had any issues.

Probably not as good of a job as a professional with machines/proper supplies will do, but hey, it seemed to work.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I saw a guy polish a crank for a 2 cylinder small gas engine with Emery cloth for my dad. It looked great but we didn't put a mic on it or plastigauge it. It went back together and back into service.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would be concerned with the scoring

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92691/Inspecting-crankshafts?Page=3

General tips

1. If the journal surfaces are damaged (scratched, scored, gouged, burnt), further inspection is required. If the scratches are light enough, the journals may be saved simply by re-polishing with 400 grit, followed by 600 grit abrasive paper. This should be done on a dedicated crankshaft polishing stand, where the crank rotates at a slow speed while an arm-mounted abrasive belt is lowered onto the journal. If the surface damage cannot be eliminated by polishing, the journals may need to be re-ground with an abrasive stone wheel on a crankshaft grinder.

Reactions: 1 user

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Guys; Since my education was auto engines & did work in an engine shop years ago, I'll toss in my $.02 cents. Polishing a crank is used to describe taking near nothing (.00001") off to as much as a half thou (.0005"). And even dedicated equipment can add eggggg (run out). So be very careful if you decide to do it yourself. Make some V blocks from a 2 x 6 or what ever. And I wouldn't use anything courser than 900 grit at home. Even the shop equipment can add egg polishing, operator plays a major roll, at least on older equipment that I'm familiar with. If the 900 grit doesn't clean it up & use a new strip on every journal consider taking it to a shop. And if ya got steady hands consider chamfering the oil holes before ya have it polished. And when ya get it back (done), CLEAN, CLean, Clean it. Get some small brushes & run them through the oil holes more than once. Soap & warm water, lots of it, rinse & spray while (water) wet with oil including oil holes displacing the water. Make sure that ALL the water is off before ya Bag it until time for use. Plastic gage at assembly, know your clearances. Good luck, Ole' Bob

Attachments

• II_406_95 Calies Crank.JPG
    II_406_95 Calies Crank.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I saw a guy polish a crank for a 2 cylinder small gas engine with Emery cloth for my dad. It looked great but we didn't put a mic on it or plastigauge it. It went back together and back into service.
I meant to add, in the case of building an engine for a car or truck, something I cared about, I would have it professionally polished.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor