DIY HOOD LINER FOR TR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
As most of you TR guys know, new hood liners for Turbo buicks haven't been available for years. Mine was in OK shape, but I sure would have liked to get a new one. You'll see them from time to time for sale on E-bay or in the classifieds, but between the price of the hoodliner and shipping, buying one is pretty much price prohibitive. Recently some guys out of Cali have offered a metal liner that replaces the stocker. Looks very nice, but I figured I could make my own for a lot less, and not risk having one damaged during shipping to me, in the east, from California. I was able to put one together for right around $100, and so can you. I bought a sheet of aluminum cut to my specs, drilled holes for the fasteners, available at NAPA, painted it black, and applied the appropriate emblems I had made up at a local sign shop. Here's how it turned out:

Attachments

• Picture 609.jpg
    Picture 609.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 746
  • Picture 535.jpg
    Picture 535.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 557
  • Creative
Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That turned out awesome. Your car is quite a head turner. Where did you get the sticker from? I wish I could use a flat hood liner, but I can't. The aftermarket 80 Monte Carlo hood liners suck. 20180722_210114.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Hey, thanks for the compliments, Zach. I had a local sign shop make up the stickers. They can duplicate most logos up on the internet to any size. Why can't you use a flat liner? Your padded liner appears flat in the photo, but just seems to be curved down at each end. Mine arches up in the middle.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Question- doesn't the OEM type material act to keep some heat off the hood? I'd be a bit worried about the paint on the hood.

Might not be an issue, just wondering.

Looks great!

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Question- doesn't the OEM type material act to keep some heat off the hood? I'd be a bit worried about the paint on the hood.

Might not be an issue, just wondering.

Looks great!

Well, proof would be in the pudding, wouldn't it? There is no issue with engine heat, although I would say to those running TRs, you must run the heat shield, otherwise, one could go forward with this accessory with peace of mind. :)

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Just read over at turbobuick.com that the guys that were making up aluminum hood liners, HOODSKINZ, are no longer in business. Anyone who needs one should just make it themselves. Most original TR hoodliners are in tatters.

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
My Precision slic is rubbing and a the clamp at the tb poked a hole in mine.:(

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
My Precision slic is rubbing and a the clamp at the tb poked a hole in mine.:(

Still probably looks better than what you had on there before you installed it. Perhaps, provisions could be made? I have a slight rub on mine from the very front of the master cylinder making contact causing an abrasion in the finish. Many times there are downsides to any modification. If there were reasonably priced replacements to the original, that would be a way for many to go, but there aren't. I show my car quite a bit, so the hoodliner I made up is preferable to a stocker for me.
yup.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor