DIY rear window mouldings?? Or where can i buy originals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamade LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2010
Finland, Rusko
Im just beggining to prep my monte (1988 LS) for paint as soon as the snow melts. And in that process i thought i remove the vinyl top. I allready know i need some rear window chrome mouldings. Well the problem is i own (propably) the only LS monte in Finland so my knowledge is quite narrow. Does the chrome trim attach on some sort of rubber moulding or just by clips?? Can i use the trim of some other car like Caprice etc?? Who sells them "of the shelf"? I know ebay and Graigslist might have these for sale, but living in Finland usually means people dont want to send them over. Im greatfull for any help i can get.

The window trim is actually anodized aluminum, not chrome or stainless steel.

It is held on with clips that attach to small welded on studs in the window channel that your car will not have since it was equiped with a vinyl top. You will either need to weld in the studs, or screw them in.
Regardless, it's a job that requires the rear glass to be removed if you wish to do it properly and not risk breaking it.

Unfortunately, nobody is selling "new" trim, so you'll have to locate some off of a donor vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor