DIY Window tinting

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
I used to work at a shop that tinted windows and I have seen it done SOO many times I can't bring myself to pay some one else to tint my windows. So I wen't out and got some 5% tint for my quarter windows and a "Gila" install kit and here I am. Its raining out today so I won't be starting but this thread will be my "DIY tint build thread" to encourage others to stop paying people to do something that you can yourself. There is plenty of instructional videos on youtube and the "Gila" kit comes with a CD-ROM instructional video. So in the next few days I will be adding plenty of pic's to walk ya through the process.

All in all I'll have less than $50 in all of it. Exact $ not sure of yet, I haven't decided what % to do my fronts. There for I still need to buy a little more tint. 5% on the fronts in Ohio is asking for a ticket.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Just what I needed :D

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
sounds good, now i can do both my cars.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
G bodies should be really easy, no huge curved back window to deal with.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
for 100 i can take it to a shop and have it done right, be gaurenteed and i cant mess it up...

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
DelOhio said:
2000.malibu.ls said:
for 100 i can take it to a shop and have it done right, be gaurenteed and i cant mess it up...

Well I'm cheap and I over exaggerated, I have $15 in the tint and $10 in the install kit. I can take a sh*t in you'r trunk and say its guarnteed :shock: .

I'm confident enough to be willing to do it myself. It will just be more satisfying to me to be able to say I did it myself.

Tinting windows is not nearly as hard as people think it is. 90% of the cars you see on the road with sh*ty bubbleing tint is due to the dumb *ss installer not knowing that there is a protective film on the tint itself that must be peeled away before the install.

I'll put $100 on it. :banana:

sorry, i wasnt meaning to talk down to you, no, the tint is warrenteed, and if it peels off and i keep the receipt that long, i can take it back, or if it fades or w/e, plus i cant lay vinyl to save my life, would rather not risk tint.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
2000.malibu.ls said:
DelOhio said:
2000.malibu.ls said:

Well I'm cheap and I over exaggerated, I have $15 in the tint and $10 in the install kit. I can take a sh*t in you'r trunk and say its guarnteed :shock: .

I'm confident enough to be willing to do it myself. It will just be more satisfying to me to be able to say I did it myself.

Tinting windows is not nearly as hard as people think it is. 90% of the cars you see on the road with sh*ty bubbleing tint is due to the dumb *ss installer not knowing that there is a protective film on the tint itself that must be peeled away before the install.

I'll put $100 on it. :banana:

sorry, i wasnt meaning to talk down to you, no, the tint is warrenteed, and if it peels off and i keep the receipt that long, i can take it back, or if it fades or w/e, plus i cant lay vinyl to save my life, would rather not risk tint.

I apologize, my girl was watching me type that last message and told me to stop being "mean to people on line." After my pic's/videos on it you too will be a pro young grass hopper. :notworthy:

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
TintKit.jpg

Above is a photo of the install kit made by Gila. Part number is #FS600
Keep you'r eyes out for more photo's here. Looks like rain here again tomorrow so we'll see I get started but when I do I'll have some videos and photos to walk you guys through my install.
:friday:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor