DIY Window tinting

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I've been looking at some tinting videos on youtube, and some of the vids on rear window tinting shows them using a heat gun on the outside before the tint is placed on the inside. The Gila instructions and videos don't show any use of a heat gun. Is this a necessary step? Please comments...

Thanks

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
83cutlasssedan said:
I've been looking at some tinting videos on youtube, and some of the vids on rear window tinting shows them using a heat gun on the outside before the tint is placed on the inside. The Gila instructions and videos don't show any use of a heat gun. Is this a necessary step? Please comments...

Thanks

I have seen those also. I am pretty sure that the point of using the heat gun is to be able to use one piece instead of two in the back window. I am pretty sure a lot of places will just use two pieces of tint for the bigger windows because it would have wrinkles if they used one piece. I think the point of the heat gun is to shrink the tint to conform to the window with out any wrinkles and still be able to use one piece.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
dan2286 said:
83cutlasssedan said:

Thanks

I have seen those also. I am pretty sure that the point of using the heat gun is to be able to use one piece instead of two in the back window. I am pretty sure a lot of places will just use two pieces of tint for the bigger windows because it would have wrinkles if they used one piece. I think the point of the heat gun is to shrink the tint to conform to the window with out any wrinkles and still be able to use one piece.

A heat gun can be helpfull on any window for working the tint & clearing inperfections along with bubbles. If you own a heat gun I'd suggest having it with you durring the install in case you find it easyer or helpfull durring your project. Once the tint is on the window with the backing peeled off and the adheasive starts to adhease the bubbles will be a little harder to work out, thats when a heat gun would be nice to have right there. :idea:

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Do you think the back window in a Cutlass is too big to do it with one piece, without a heat gun? Maybe i should go get a heat gun, i don't want to be messing around too much. The tint isn't cheap either, I don't want to be doing trial and error with rolls of tint. What d'ya think?

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
83cutlasssedan said:
Do you think the back window in a Cutlass is too big to do it with one piece, without a heat gun? Maybe i should go get a heat gun, i don't want to be messing around too much. The tint isn't cheap either, I don't want to be doing trial and error with rolls of tint. What d'ya think?

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't done my rear window yet but I doubt I'll be using a heat gun. Should be fine.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
my question is with the rear window defrost. are those lines running across the back window going to make bubbles or make the tint not adhere well?

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
adumb said:
my question is with the rear window defrost. are those lines running across the back window going to make bubbles or make the tint not adhere well?

Yes they will cause bubbles durring the installation, but if you take your time and do it right there wont be any that you cant work out of the tint. The tint itself will adhear fine once you pull all the bubbles. Good question, & that will apply to any car window front or rear.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I've seen quite a few installs that had bubbles around the rear defog thing. But they always seem to go away after a few days in the sun.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
I do window tinting on the side and have for the last 20 years. A heat gun is necessary on almost any window with any curve to it. Do your self a HUGE FAVOR and use the good stuff. Do not use any of the over the counter stuff from wal-mart or auto zone or places like that. And if you've never done window tinting before you'd probably be better off and money ahead to take it to a local shop and pay someone to do it.
The defroster will not cause the tint to bubble either. The onlt time it will have any effect is if you remove the tint later on down the road. It will remove your defroster too.
And last but not least..... a good installer can do almost any rear window in one piece. That includes vettes, camaors, etc. With huge curved rear glass. All G Bodies can be easliy done in one piece.
And for what a roll of good tint (with lifetime warranty) cost..... take it somewhere to get it done.
If you were local to me I'd take care of ya.

Reactions: 1 user

80 money pit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2014
I tinted my work bomb car myself (03 mercury sable). the curved glass has always been a problem for me. I messed up my pre cut 1 piece out of the kit i got off ebay. I bought some of that black magic stuff from autozone to finish up with and it is complete garbage. The stuff I have gotten from Tint-pro has been good for me. Easy to work with and cheap. I got a 5% kit for my white 5.0 convertible to put on when the weather breaks here.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor