Do any rear disc brakes fit 14" rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I have been toying with upgrading to rear disc brakes as an axle retention method for an 8.5 rather than c clip eliminators or cutting the housing and welding on 9" ends. The real question is: what will fit under a 14" stock steel wheel that has an ebrake? Everything claims to have a 15" minimum wheel, but I know that the kit that uses front calipers has to fit under a 14" wheel, since they fit in the front! So do any of these setups work? I don't plan to swap out my stock steelies and hub caps any time soon, so I would like to not have to upgrade to 15" wheels.

I have found tons of options, blazer rear discs, lt1 f body rears, ls1 rear discs, the 79 deville rear discs, something must fit.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Can anyone verify this?

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Don't know about good Junkyards in your area ( Blazer & Gbody ), but go and verify it, if you can. If you can't find a 14" 5x4.75 wheel on a car in the yard, bring yours.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Hey Marcar

I crossed this bridge a few years ago and actually bought the complete LT1 brake set up hoping my factory SSIII's would fit. Silly me, I ended up selling everything off and starting over. The answer to your question is yes, I used the following combination of parts which will also fit a 14" rim. Factory G body rotors, 1986 Trans am rear disk calipers (front G body calipers also work but no e brake), factory TA mounting brackets (steel removal required to fit G body rear) with an custom aluminum spacer plate. If memory serves me you need to clock them to the 2 pm position and swap sides for correct caliper orientation. I also used a 79' Deville proportioning valve which works very well. I'll post some pics later this weekend if I have the time.

Thank you! I knew I couldn't have been the only one to ever want to do this!
The only question I have is that won't a factory g body rotor be setup for a spindle? Shouldn't I use the factory f body hat style rotor?
And YES! I would love to see some pictures if you could.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did I read your post right? You are going to use the disk brake set up to hold the axles in place instead of the C clips?

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
No, disc brakes can act as a secondary retention system for c clip axles. In the event of a broken axle, the rotor is caught by the caliper, stopping the axle and wheel from being fully ejected and dropping the car on the ground. Clearly, this is not a situation you want to be in, but given the possibility, it can save your 1/4 panel, and even save you from losing control and slamming into something when you are on the ground and sliding on frame rail.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a stick so I want the e brake. The calipers I plan to use are the 1980 Seville rear calipers. Their e brake components are more compact than what's on the F body caliper.

2898-05000074-1002231.jpg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have a stick so I want the e brake. The calipers I plan to use are the 1980 Seville rear calipers. Their e brake components are more compact than what's on the F body caliper.

That looks like a better option without the crappy weights. The Seville bracket has a different offset than the F body bracket and doesn't work as well if at all. Looks like the Seville caliper should mount on the F body bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor