Do Grand Nationals get too much credit for the greatness of the G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So it appears OPG is now adding a Grand National catalog to it's lineup. This is actually a major step in the commitment and longevity of available reproduction parts for the G-body. Problem is that just helps one small segment of the G-Body population.

The car world has been slow and reluctant to truly accept G-Body's as classic cars, we all know that. So in return the car world has latched strongly onto the Grand Nationals and especially the GNX because "it's the fastest one". It makes for great bragging rights.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Grand National. But I don't think by itself it nearly tells the story of the G-body and why they are such enjoyable cars. The Grand National is just one chapter. Is driving a Monte SS with a 350 really that different to drive from a GN? Can you just write off how absolutely smooth so many models the G-Body Cutlass were? Or the Grand Prix and the 2+2? So many different G-Body's expressed so many different characteristics.

I love the GN but it just seems like a car that is getting sold from owner to owner via auction and never driven and enjoyed.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 8 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I just ordered the catalog.

It all has to do with people spending money. People don't like to spend money on something that isn't worth anything. You haven't been able to find a nice '86/87 Turbo Regal for less than $12K for quite a while, now, because people with $5K T/R's know they can put $5-7K in it and sell it for more than what they have in it.

Someone with a $5K plane jane G-body is a ot more reluctant to buy $5-7K in parts..

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
So I looked through their catalog.

$3500 for a "total handling package" that other than the "Fox shocks" is straight out of 1993.

For about $2000 less, you could have a car that handles way better than a car with this "total handling package", replacing all of the same parts.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I want to say in terms of production numbers, the Monte Carlo and Cutlass were probably the most common G-Bodies. The Regal coupes and especially the GN/GNX were comparatively rare, but sought after. I don’t mind, since a lot of the parts interchange, but I do wish there was a little more wagon-specific parts support. I know that’s not going to happen, since they’re not as popular as the coupes among collectors/resto-modders, and probably never will be.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
The GNs & T-Types are all the rage in the G-body community because they were the only ones with "cajones" straight out of the factory. The weak SBC 305s and SBO 307s were/are nothing to brag about. The MCSS was all looks, it didn't even receive an 8.5" rear from the factory.

The big restoration companies are just getting into the G-body market, but Gbodyparts.com has been servicing the community for years without nearly as much fanfare.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I received my catalog a couple months ago (pre-ordered mid last year) even though there is really not too much I need to finish my Regal there is a lot of stuff in it and some restoration items that I didn't know were made, plus it is kind of cool to just flip through a catalog dedicated to my Regal.
20180310_111108-1.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This hobby is all about making something out of nothing. Like Rocketpwrd's endless hours sanding (and masking!). The hard part is that last piece that always breaks, so no good spares can be had from inexpensive means. If enough grass roots demand can make it profitable to make a part new, then the problem is solved. There are lots of ways to skin the cat. I liked the recent idea to additive-manufacture the caps for the wagon air deflector. Or the diff cover adapter plate I saw made last year to use an S10 8.5 in a G. Once upon a time, these 'total performance packages' were simple ideas like offset upper control arm cross-arms and cut-down 5662 coil springs. Collectively, GP403's hard work keeping this site up and running enables us all to 'do more with less' by swapping the good ideas from wherever they originate. Plus, doesn't it feel awesome, when you find the $600 part in the catalog for $35 at the Pick-a-Part?

Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
During the first 2 "slow" Turbo regal years (78 & 79) almost 60,000 units were sold. Over the 78-87, JUST the turbo cars had over 125,000 made, with around 30,000 in 84-87 alone. Those are the "collectable" regals. Base models had 100s of thousands more.

But that large "collectable" facet, coupled with high book values, and a LARGE ownership group willing to SPEND is why they get the love thus far.

A vast majority of cutlass bodies cars (just talking the production run) are more or less daily drivers at this point in low income neighborhoods. They may prove popular with hot rodders as the gbody becomes a more preferred platform due to cheaper buying costs if all you want is a body to build.but right now, purchasing power isn't there for much more than piggybacking on regal interchange.

When it comes to spending acumen, regals are and always were led by the grand national crowd. Once too many of the buick motorsports stage engine blocks were wrecked they got together and put out their own new engine block, all aluminum from TA performance. And made their own heads, the gn1s. So on so forth.

Big aftermarket watches these things.

I can't think of a single monte ss, 442, or 2+2 initiative that has come even close.

In the meantime, other car lineups just need to watch and wait. And ASK. At car shows/swap meets, go in force and ask the reps about certain parts for your cars. If they see and hear about demand, they'll make it. They want the $$$.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor