BUILD THREAD Do I get a membership card now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
just got caught back up on the build, glad it's up and running! with the progress you've made in a short time, there should be no doubt that you'll have the problems solved and be out enjoying it when the weather breaks!

enjoy those spinny sounds for me!:mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well I got my tps adjusted with my volt meter and fixed my check engine light to check the trouble codes. My coolant temp sensor was unplugged and I forgot I was missing the air intake temp sensor. Bought and sensor and plugged the other one in and still ran poor.

Also had a code for a bad MAF and swapped between the two of them I had and neither turn the code off so typical turbo Buick the MAF is bad. I need to buy a translator and use the LS style maf I have laying around and see if that fixes my problems which it should.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
GAH!

MAF translator was on backorder, now its in California. Probably will get confiscated or something....

This part is going to get more miles in a box shipping than on the wagon! Its going to have 4600+ miles JUST to get from michigan to Iowa alone.
1554211105789.png

1554211246172.png

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
GAH!

MAF translator was on backorder, now its in California. Probably will get confiscated or something....

This part is going to get more miles in a box shipping than on the wagon! Its going to have 4600+ miles JUST to get from michigan to Iowa alone.
View attachment 110133

View attachment 110134
Geez!!!! No wonder these companies b*tch about overhead!!!! The money that could've been saved by taking a 1 day trip is absorbed because "our software says this is the most efficient route!"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The MAF translator is finally in the right state, so it might be here Friday.

I grabbed a used "LT1" maf off a 00 4.3 blazer from the salvage yard today for $16 since the MAFS are the same for all 90's through early 00's GM v6's and LT1's.

It's in place waiting for the damn translator. over 3 weeks later.... Yeah I am inpatient.

1554350070457.png

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Happy days the MAF translator showed up. I hooked it up and the car actually runs pretty good. Only bad news is it doesn't shift into 3rd gear. I did modify the governor but I don't think it's that. I never did see this trans move a car besides idle in my 2+2 and it had goop in the pan.

I think the TV cable is adjusted right too and the fluid is full.

I'll have to spend a bit more time making sure it's in drive and double check the TV cable.

Turbo is LOUD.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Happy days the MAF translator showed up. I hooked it up and the car actually runs pretty good. Only bad news is it doesn't shift into 3rd gear. I did modify the governor but I don't think it's that. I never did see this trans move a car besides idle in my 2+2 and it had goop in the pan.

I think the TV cable is adjusted right too and the fluid is full.

I'll have to spend a bit more time making sure it's in drive and double check the TV cable.

Turbo is LOUD.
We need a running video for proof!!!!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Fiddled with the TV cable, turns out the cable to mount Location on a V8 must be father than a turbo 6 and my cable was a bit loose. Put a little spacer between the crimped on end and the clip that goes to the throttle to make the cable shorter and tested it. Yep, it has all 4 gears now, that's a big relief.

Other issue is the alternator isn't charging. I am not getting 12v to the charge wire so I put hot 12v to it from the battery and it still isn't charging.

I think I'll have orieleys test it and see if it's bad. I might be dealing with a bad alt and bad wiring.

But it's good to drive it a little! It cuts out under light boost but I think that's related to the low voltage and it's not sparking.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_142713.jpg
    IMG_20190406_142713.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 273
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Got the alternator charging. Had o-really's test it and it was good. That confirmed I must have had a wiring problem.

Turns out I wasn't getting 12V to the igniter wire.

Took it for a little cruise. It runs good under 50% or more throttle under light boost but has a studder, backfire/miss at light acceleration. My phone didnt pick most of it up but you might be able to hear the light studder and backfire here and there when its trying to spool up. If I stomp on it a little and it gets past that part in the fuel map or something it runs good.

One step at a time! I think I need to get a wideband on it and check the AFR. Probably swap the narrow band 02 sensor also since its decades old.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor