Do I have a 12 gallan tank in my El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I'm already posted about getting a bigger tank and have plans. I recently let the car get into the red on the gas gauge and when I filled it, it ons took 11 gallons. I don't think I have a 20 gallon tank like I thought I did. Is there any way to tell other than what I just did? Thanks in advance.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
More likely that a 40 year old car's fuel gauge is not as accurate as it once was. Some would say that it's a miracle it works at all.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, depending where you are, the modern nanny controls on the vapor recovery gas pumps can shut off early.

It's a function of altered nozzle angles/curves, the vapor recovery system cutting off the flow when it senses a certain volume of splash back, etc.

In my 77 truck most gas pumps can't even have a nozzle go down the fill opening anymore due to the changes. You have to fill it with the handle half in, half out.

Could be the float on the sending unit reading off as noted above as well. I can't imagine you having a 12 gallon anything unless it's a fuel cell

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
easy test, run out of gas and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor