Do I need a Higher Amperage Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I am currently running dual Sebring fans. I'm afraid that when I run the AC in high my alternator a 78amp AC Delco will not be able to keep up with the draw. Then if I drive at night with lights on, will it really draw further down and leave me stranded. I haven't driven at night lately so not sure I have a problem. Any actual experiences in this? I know recommendations "Go Higher Amp". Should I upgrade to 90-100 amp

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Honestly, your alternator is probably fine. Those Sebring fans have a 25 amp startup current but only pull 12-13 amps once they are up to speed. I have ran them with a 63 amp alternator without issue (not including A/C). 78 amps should be plenty to run the A/C, fans, and other accessories together.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Good to know info, I was worried about the amp and sub drawing too much power from my El Camino because it seems like the gauge runs lower than it did before.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Amplifiers are much different than electric fans in terms of current draw. Like Wageslave said, there is a start up draw on electric fans, then they level out. Amplifiers are a wild card. How big? Regulated or unregulated? Is it wide open most of the time?

It's never a bad idea to upgrade your electron capacity.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I found the 78 amp alternator inadequate with underdrive pulleys with the lights turned on, blinker, blower fan, radio and cooling fans on. Don't these cooling fans draw 40+ amps at start up? I have blown quite a few 40 amp relays with the Stratus fans.

Reactions: 1 user

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
I am currently running dual Sebring fans. I'm afraid that when I run the AC in high my alternator a 78amp AC Delco will not be able to keep up with the draw. Then if I drive at night with lights on, will it really draw further down and leave me stranded. I haven't driven at night lately so not sure I have a problem. Any actual experiences in this? I know recommendations "Go Higher Amp". Should I upgrade to 90-100 amp
Yes....
And get a excellent reading gauge.
I take it you pay attention when you drive.
That's a lot of amps drawing..
Relays help

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Get a fan controller with soft start but I agree, 78 amps is not enough.

Anything OEM with electric fans is over 100. Ratings aside, you will have max amp draw at idle and the 78 amp rating is not at idle.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your current set up is causing you concern an alternator upgrade is easy and relatively inexpensive so why not do it instead pf worrying about it. I would not buy an alternator from a retail parts store, I buy mine from a local rebuilder. You can easily upgrade to a CS130 which is a 105 amp.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For sure your 78amp alternator will keep up when every part of the charging system is up to snuff. The issue develops when something isn't. That is when being on the edge of the ratings is painful.

Put in a CS130 or 144 and never look back. I have a CS130 running two fans, two fuel pumps and two ecu with multiport injection and meth injection pump. It will lose .5-.7 volts at the end of a 1/4 mile pass - no big deal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For sure your 78amp alternator will keep up when every part of the charging system is up to snuff. The issue develops when something isn't. That is when being on the edge of the ratings is painful.

Put in a CS130 or 144 and never look back. I have a CS130 running two fans, two fuel pumps and two ecu with multiport injection and meth injection pump. It will lose .5-.7 volts at the end of a 1/4 mile pass - no big deal.

I have the 144, it is a large case alternator that puts out 140 amps while the CS130 is a small case which is the size of the stock alternators. The 144 mounts the same as the stock alternator

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor