Do i need zinc additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trottiert

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2020
Uxbridge MA
So perusing some posts this morning and I see some comments about zinc additives and flat tappet cams vs rollers.
I recently did an oil change with Castrol GTX.
I'm wondering on my 88MCSS
It appears to be a re-man engine. (Found a sticker on the oil pan)
At this point I don't know what the valvetrain is comprised of.
I guess my questions:
Is there an easy way to determine flat vs roller without disassembly.
Should I be be adding zinc or using a specific oil
Any other insight or things I may be missing.
Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
1588511165969942083219.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
only way I know is to remove the intake and take a look at the lifters

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since it does have centerbolt valve covers It is possible that it is a later 1 piece rear main block and has factory roller lifters

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
only way I know is to remove the intake and take a look at the lifters
pull a valve cover and one push rod and take a peek. might have to use one of those endoscope camera things and look for the lifter link bar and retaining plate.
1588514169976.png

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Since it does have centerbolt valve covers It is possible that it is a later 1 piece rear main block and has factory roller lifters
not all roller lifter blocks came with roller lifters. since this block was a replacement it infers roller lifter but doesn't guarantee it.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
87 and up SBCs have center bolt valve covers regardless if they have flst tappet or roller cams. Being a reman, it could be a mix of different years.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Could also be an early block with late/Vortec heads.

Like said, only way to know for sure is have a look

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
not all roller lifter blocks came with roller lifters. since this block was a replacement it infers roller lifter but doesn't guarantee it.
Since it is a crate engine with centerbolts is why I said it is possible, if it had perimeter bolt valve covers than I would say highly unlikely but obviously verification is still required.
I once had a 87' block with 1 piece rear and it was cast as a roller block but was never drilled and finished, had mounting for a mechanical fuel pump but the hole for the pushrod was only about 1/4". It had the spider tray stands but not drilled etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor