Do i need zinc additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and I just noticed something, the valve spring circled in red seems to be missing part of the keeper

1588553846265573688245.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Trottiert

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2020
Uxbridge MA
This one time if you JUST changed the oil it's cheaper to buy your favorite zddp additive and run it with that for 3 months / 3k miles.

Changing oil weights and choosing synthetic/conventional isn't a knee jerk reaction to keep making lightly. It's how you spring future seeps and weeps.

What's wrong with 15w-40? It's the likely weight you're going to run if you choose to go diesel oil.

Also, back in the older days - from the early 80s through when they screwed with zinc/etc everything of ours got 10-40. Never lost an engine, ranging from a couple hundred k miles on 231 v6s to 600k miles and counting on the 87 suburban's 350.

Had cars totalled, or rust out, but never lost an engine. Since the oil formula changes everything gets 15w-40, except for the mustangs which run 5-20 weight due to special circumstances of the engine construction/configuration...
I was not saying there is anything wrong with the 15w-40. Was wondering why not a closer to recommended 5w-40.
I spent some time today educating myself about the differences in oils. I think it makes a bit more sense now.
Again always appreciate the input from everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor