Do people not understand that you cant buy a used car and it be a ONE OWNER car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
He probably doesn't have a title, hence a one owner car.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The posted ad could be a legit one-owner. It may have been posted by an owner who was told it needed carb work but isn't mechanical. It could have been posted by a friend or relative for the non-computer using owner as a favor. But yeah, it's a bit ambiguous.
As a private sale, "one owner" is pretty cut and dried. The seller needs to be the original owner. The exception to that would be a dealer or broker -- and they would need to show me some paper trail to make that claim.

Beyond that topic, "original" and "survivor" are terms that seem to get abused a lot. Definitions seem to be very subjective.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO if I am looking at a car for $1250 that has been sitting in a field for years and doesn't run then probably the last thing I would be concerned about is how many previous owners it had.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The all-original and one-owner descriptors are usually overused, and overblown. If the person is indeed the original owner, it's of no consequence to me. What is of consequence is what has been done to it, does it appear to be what it's supposed to be? (I.e., rusted out hulks claiming 6K original miles is probably not to be used in the same sentence) Is it even remotely worth the asking price to you, the buyer, just to see if an offer makes sense? These are the things I consider. Does the car make me WANT to drive/own it?

With all-original, that means all-original to me. Everything. Same coolant and oil it left the factory with. So no car normally would ever stay all-original for long. I must admit, my 87 442 had the factory belts, tires, hoses and distributor cap/wires/plugs. Air filter? Not sure. It was an old-style 348C, so I dunno. But all that got changed out with GM stuff. So I'd say it was 99% original when I picked it up.

With that said, if the original owner has kept all the records and paperwork and all that, the pedigree can help, or hurt. Usually helps. But then if you see the records where the car was in an accident or engine replaced, etc., that's important to know and would affect any offer price.

Car flippers don't bother me either. Because once that's found out, I tune out pretty much everything they have to say. It's not tough to tell most of the time.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The all-original and one-owner descriptors are usually overused, and overblown. If the person is indeed the original owner, it's of no consequence to me. What is of consequence is what has been done to it, does it appear to be what it's supposed to be? (I.e., rusted out hulks claiming 6K original miles is probably not to be used in the same sentence) Is it even remotely worth the asking price to you, the buyer, just to see if an offer makes sense? These are the things I consider. Does the car make me WANT to drive/own it?

With all-original, that means all-original to me. Everything. Same coolant and oil it left the factory with. So no car normally would ever stay all-original for long. I must admit, my 87 442 had the factory belts, tires, hoses and distributor cap/wires/plugs. Air filter? Not sure. It was an old-style 348C, so I dunno. But all that got changed out with GM stuff. So I'd say it was 99% original when I picked it up.

With that said, if the original owner has kept all the records and paperwork and all that, the pedigree can help, or hurt. Usually helps. But then if you see the records where the car was in an accident or engine replaced, etc., that's important to know and would affect any offer price.

Car flippers don't bother me either. Because once that's found out, I tune out pretty much everything they have to say. It's not tough to tell most of the time.
People must think they’re adding value with these claims. If the vehicle condition is appropriate with the price and you have documented history, even better.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
"One owner" and "original" really only matters for a very narrow sliver of the car market. As far as seller claims, I let the car tell me the story. That's my actual job description. I deal with embellishers and straight up liars regularly and the car usually sells them out.

I once bought an "original", one owner car from a legit little old lady that had been sitting in a field for over 20 years. When I was done the only original parts was the body shell, most of the glass, and the front suspension. In the end "original" and "one owner" meant absolutely nothing.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Once it came off the MSO, it's no longer a one owner. GM owned it first.

Oh, they mean "one retail purchaser"

I see "one owner" vehicles daily that I would have no interest in owning due to condition. Usually the same people that scream about no used (recycled/salvage) parts because their 8 year old car "doesn't have used parts on it now"

People are idiots, and society encourages them to continue by drinking the carfax/"one owner" koolaid (yes,I know it was really Flavor-aid).

Last edited:

Lukeoforcas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2018
Great Northwest
I don’t believe everything I read. If I shop for a car and find a potential purchase. I’m going to put eyes and hands on it before committing to buying. I’ve never bought anything that is as good as described or looks like it is in pictures. Especially a 78-87 gbody! We know these cars well enough that if they are advertising one owner no rust cars 99% chance it’s a lie. Those are unicorns living in rainbow castles.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If it's "one owner" my used truck is a "one owner" then since it was a lease truck when new in New York, got returned, sent to an auction, picked up by the Pa dealer that sold it to me. But then it was GM's, the dealer that leased it/auctioned it, the dealer that picked it up, then the bank that wants that monthly check from me. But I'll be the first "private" owner after I get the title...
As for that Monte it'll be a $200-$400 car since it's not running, nesting in the dirt & wearing a vinyl top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor