do you remember when...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you remember the night before you bought your first G body? Maybe even you owned more... Regardless, do you remember when you were so excited the night before? hell, I've been on pins all wekk trying to get this insurance quote so I could buy it today. So howabout I already have the garage ready and all of the products and accessories ready for tomorrow morning when I bring it home. Yeah. Just thought I'd let y'all in on my excitement!

😀

I didn't know I was about to buy mine. I went into work one day and some old couple had traded it in on a new ford product *shrug* they gave themm 100 bucks for it. I found the used car manager right away and handed him 100 bucks... drove it home that day 🙂

Yah I got my off the backlot, check engine light on, dealership was debateing fixing it, got it for $500. Body was straight, paint was faded but no rust. Had 3.8 I ran for 6 months then pulled it out and dropped in a 350 out of a 69 Biscayne I had bought for $200. It was alot of fun, traded it for a 1981 Monza 283/4speed alot of fun also but still wish I had kept the Monte 🙁

the day before i bought mine i was looking at 2 others at the same time 85 v6 car ... an 87 cutlass t-tops 307 well the next morning i went to work an there sit a black 87 cutlass... ( one i have now ) i went right to the lady who owned it an she its gonna be a trade in 300 bucks is what she got out of it ... i bought it .. after work i went to an bought the 87 t top car ... i bought 2 cars an didnt pay no more then 500 bucks for both ... i was happy... but ive owned 6 gbodys altogether including the 2 i have now

My first '86 Regal. My dad and I looked at was the second car we looked at but passed it up to look for others. 2 months later frustrated at prices and conditions we went back for a second look. It was th cheapest g/a body we looked at but was in great shape. minor body work drivers quarter panel (only found because the wheel well trim was missing) was the only thing we found wrong. paid $2200 and regretted selling it 2yrs later. bought my second and current one from a guy I worked with. He babyed the car and was the 3rd owner. $1250 and it was mine. Had to box in the frame rails thought for a safety because they were getting soft. That is expected though after 17 years of canadin winters. Emissions tested it and pulled the 305 out 45 min later!

I distinctly remember when my black 85 442 was delivered on a Friday. The nearly 5 month wait was excruciating in itself. I was going up the road to visit my parents for the weekend. I could have SWORE I saw it on the car carrier going toward Charleston, SC as I was only about 15 miles out anyway. I wasn't 100% sure, but there wasn't that many 85 442s built anyway. When I got back home on Monday, there was an answering machine message saying the car had arrived Friday (Message was left on Saturday). So I DID see that thing... About 45 minutes later I was at the dealership, my heart pumping and very excited. Like a dumbazz, I forgot my camera at home as they had it on the showroom floor trying to generate business with it! I'd have loved to take pics of that car then! Back then, they had some of the sales clerks "offices" next to the windows in front, so as I moved around the car I saw the dealership stick-on dealer nametag on the back of the car (I hate those) and reached over and pulled it off. The shock on the unsuspecting sales-dude's face was priceless. I told him no worries, it was my car. After the test drive and all the paperwork was done, I drove off the lot with a small burnout and a chirp in second and I was on my way with 12 miles on the odometer!!!Those were some fun times!

My parents bought the '84 Monte SS that I have now brand new. At the time, I went to the dealership with them, and my car was on the showroom floor. They had 2 other Monte SS cars there at the time, but both of the other cars were fairly low optioned cars, and the one my parents bought was pretty much loaded. I can remember sitting in the car when it was on the showroom floor before they bought it. The Monte was kind of a second car for my parents, as they had another car which was usually a daily driver, and only used the Monte for trips on nice days. After my father passed away in 1987, I told my mother that if she sold the car, I had first dibs on it. She bought a new Corsica in August of 1988. She sold me the Monte, and took delivery of the Corsica on the day that would have been my father's birthday the year after he died. My parents always liked the car, and I try to get my mum out for a trip in the car at least once a year. It still puts a smile on her face (and mine too!).

I didn't have plans of owning a G-body. It just sort of happened. One day I stopped over at the house of a car buddy of mine and noticed he had a pretty straight looking maroon '78 Malibu two-door parked next to his garage. When we started talking, I worked it into the conversation. At the same time, he worked my '72 Nova into the conversation.

To make a long story short, just as I was walking back into his garage (after looking at the car) to ask him about trading my Nova for it, he was on his way to ask me about trading his Malibu for my Nova. We swapped about two days later and both ended up happy.

I fell in love with my first G body which was a 1983 Buick regal. The bad thing was is that I ran into a telephone poll with it while looking at a girl. TRUE STORY. But no worry because I have owned many since then. What I like most about the G body is the combination of style and interior appointments. As you very well may know the 78-88 G body was shorter and lighter than its predecessor of 76. However, the interior and trunk space actually increased. GM was on quite the cutting edge for its time. To think that a car on a 200 inch chasis could provide such interior/trunk space while not comprimising ride was incredible for the late 70s.

Well, mine's been in the family since '87, before I was born. So, I've known the car since I've had a memory. But it's sitting in "storage" right now, not sure when we're going to go pick it up to start work on it but I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor