Does a 99 Denali come with 096 Vortec heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York
Looking to put Vortec heads on my sbc 350 and have the opportunity to buy a whole running and driving Denali for 400$ wanted to know if the 096 heads came on this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
People will tell you there is a difference between 062 and 906s but I dont think its anything that makes any difference.

I have heard multiple engine builders say about half of all vortec heads that they see are cracked between the middle exhaust ports, regardless of casting #

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York
People will tell you there is a difference between 062 and 906s but I dont think its anything that makes any difference.

I have heard multiple engine builders say about half of all vortec heads that they see are cracked between the middle exhaust ports, regardless of casting #

So basically saying I should just buy new?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that is an L31 engine so it has a roller cam and the 906 vortec heads. I have the 906 heads on my SBC and they work great. The difference between the 062 and 906 is the vavle seats are hardened on the 906 making them more difficult to rework to put in larger valves.

Reactions: 1 user

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York
that is an L31 engine so it has a roller cam and the 906 vortec heads. I have the 906 heads on my SBC and they work great. The difference between the 062 and 906 is the vavle seats are hardened on the 906 making them more difficult to rework to put in larger valves.

Like the guy above said the heads will most likely be cracked is that true? If I take them off a running motor?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
At the risk of putting words in his mouth. I think he was just pointing out that difference between 062 and 906 is negligible. And yes, they were known to crack. Lots of SBC heads, Vortec and otherwise, are running around with minor cracks. $400 for a running Vortec is reasonable.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Like the guy above said the heads will most likely be cracked is that true? If I take them off a running motor?

I have 2 sets of 906 heads and neither are cracked, both sets I bought used

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Block may be a no go depending on your intended use.

Many did not come with a mechanical fuel pump but not all. I would say a 99 probably didnt

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor