Does anybody use a zddp oil or additive in their car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
I have been trying to find the best oil for my 3.8 v6, should I be using an additive for zddp? is it really necessary?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
1605804198178.png

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have been trying to find the best oil for my 3.8 v6, should I be using an additive for zddp? is it really necessary?
Years ago, car manufactures wanted to get 200K on catalyst converters, HOWEVEVR this was not achievable with zinc in the engine oils, (ZINC CLOGS CONVERTERS OVER TIME) that's why most oils use other additives other than zinc. If you purchase (for instance) Mobil 1 High mileage, it contains zinc, so do other high end synthetic oils. I use the ZDDP additive in all my Turbo 3.8 V6's, its truly worth the coin for the added protection. I use the High mileage Mobil 1 AND the zinc additive, best of both worlds!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I belong to another car group that includes an oil engineer that explained that adding ZDDP additives can cause more harm than good as too much is just as bad as too little. I accept his advice over others and that is to buy an oil with a good additive package such as Rotella, Brad Penn, Valvoline VR or other racing oils.
Note that you only need the additives on engines with flat tappet camshafts. Roller cams do not need the additives.
I run Brad Penn in my one vehicle that has a flat tappet camshaft.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor