Does anyone else find sunroofs useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I own 2 cars with sunroofs (moonroofs? -they are glass), my Buick Lacrosse has one and my Subaru Outback has one and my dad's 2016 Mazda CX-5 he bought this past summer has one. The BMW E36 I used to own also had a sunroof (not glass). I never use any of them, nor does my dad use his. Ever. And probably 90% of the time I have the sunshade pulled closed. I find them complete useless. Yet I'm sure it was probably a $1000 option on all of those cars when they were new. At the same time, I have an aunt who insists she can't live without a sunroof. Why, I'll never know. The only thing I can think of them being good for is resale value. People shopping for cars seem to gravitate towards "Oh it has a sunroof". Does anyone actually own a sunroof and use it regularly? We won't count G Body Astroroofs because they were kinda rare, let's just stick to daily drivers.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Only thing I've ever used them for is cracking them open with the vent function to keep the interior a little cooler on hot days. That's about it. They're usually bundled together with the "premium" packages which include other desirable options. In the three cars I've owned with them, can't say I used any of them on a regular basis.

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My grandfather used to say, why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly safe airplane?

The equivalent in this case is, why would anyone deliberately plan a leak into a perfectly water tight roof?

If you want only sky above you, buy a convertible. Or a motorcycle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I don't necessarily hate them, but they're not a "must have" for me. If a car I otherwise like has one, great. If not, no big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
My 4Runner has one, and its fun when the weather's decent to drop all the windows, including the tailgate and open the sunroof if you're just driving around town or in a park or whatever. Other than that, not really. I'm just waiting for it to start leaking or the drains to get plugged. Its inevitable at some point.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
As far as a daily driver car, my 04 Grand Prix summer daily driver has a astro roof and I absolutely love it. I don't usually ever open it all the way up, but it has the option to kick the back up about 4 inches and thats my favorite setting. I am one of those people who have always gravitated to the astro roof cars, dont know why, just always had a fixation with them.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I had an 01 2 door Focus with one. Was great on good weather days. Could get good air flow opening the windows and the sunroof. Preferred that over using the AC. Had T-Tops in a Firebird. They were a pain to remove and place back on. Also they leaked on the passenger side. I would not purposely get a sunroof but would not complain if the car came with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor