Does anyone know how many versions of OEM T tops were made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have 3 T top cars sitting at home right now and every pair of T tops I have are a little different and I have had others. Does anyone know why? Are certain ones better? I have several that have a composite looking trim that is or is supposed to be black and bare glass edges, I have a set that has stainless trim that is painted and then has a metal edge around all of the edges of glass, I have seen some with plastic edges too. Did different years get different styles? Previously I always through the older cars got the stainless trim but the 85 GN I just got has stainless but they are quite possibly not original. I want to have the correct ones for each of my cars

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have 3 T top cars sitting at home right now and every pair of T tops I have are a little different and I have had others. Does anyone know why? Are certain ones better? I have several that have a composite looking trim that is or is supposed to be black and bare glass edges, I have a set that has stainless trim that is painted and then has a metal edge around all of the edges of glass, I have seen some with plastic edges too. Did different years get different styles? Previously I always through the older cars got the stainless trim but the 85 GN I just got has stainless but they are quite possibly not original. I want to have the correct ones for each of my cars

Very interesting! Any way you could post a picture of each when you have time?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I will as soon as I get some time in the garage and it is not raining, one of the cars is outside

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Two general types that I know of. The non-locking and locking for factory style.

Up through 1986 they were non-locking. 86-88 they locked.

82-84 had some weird tints, like black and gray.

Sometime in 1986, they had the polycarbonate black channels that surrounded the glass. Part way into the 86 model year, they ditched the black channels.

They also sold T-top "packages" and also RH or LH complete panels as accessories.

As far as stainless trim stuff, not sure of that being factory.

Reactions: 1 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I am almost 100% certain that the stainless trim is OEM. They started out that way and switched at some point, I am just not sure when.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Some were aftermarket made and installed by Cars & Concepts. They have a CC logo etched into them...

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor