Does anyone know if GM has a specification for lateral flywheel run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
To make a long story short. I have the trans out. I have been chasing a clutch chatter issue for over 2,000 miles now and couldn't take it anymore.
Flywheel was a new aftermarket clone of the OEM GM lightweight 153 tooth used on the 80's' F bodies and Corvettes. I checked the lateral run out and found as much as .003" on the friction face.
I also have a brand new NOS GM one and tried that as well. It too has as much as .003" but 180 degrees from where the other one had it. I checked the run out on the crank flange and found no measurable run out.
So it seems to all be in the flywheel. Would you run it as is OR fly cut the mounting face or shim the flange?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Off the top of my head it is .005, looking to find a spec in a manual will post if I find it.

This also could be a problem you need to check.

This might be of value too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor