Does anyone make a modern-style dry intake for Olds V8s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I'm guessing the answer is no, but I was curious as to whether anyone made something resembling modern EFI dry-flow intakes for classic Olds V8s?

I'm thinking it's probably an even longer shot that anyone makes them out of plastic.

But . . are there any out there? Aluminum or plastic?

(no, really, stop laughing!)

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
There are only regular style. but there are a few that can be converted to FI by welding injector ports to the intake. As for plastic, step up and be the first to try it. Lol
T

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I have a multi port set up on my 455. The intake was made by professional products. Check out there web site. Check out my build thead for pictures

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Step up and try it? Are you kidding? I can barely put two Lego blocks together! LOL - though, in all seriousness, I'd probably design it in two pieces - an upper part that's most of the intake, then lower adapters to go to the heads of a small block Olds, or extended lower adapters to lengthen the runners to reach the heads of a big block Olds. Though I suppose two entirely different intake manifolds might make sense, given that the BBO would probably like a larger diameter runner as well.

Hmm, I think I'd come across that before - but isn't it effectively an intake for carburetors, but with the injector bungs ready?

I was thinking more along the lines of something like what's used in uber-modern engines (ok, maybe since the 90s or so?) Such as:

Intake009.jpg

46perf29.gif

I'll admit that the front-intake of the LSx engines seems better to me than the top-entry for the Ford Modular engine's intake . . but in any case, these are both designed with EFI only in mind, and (presumably) optimized for that.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
There are a few out there working on adapting the LS intake to an Olds with the Rocker Racing/Wenzler aluminum heads. Don't think anything has come fruition though yet.

Your not going to be able to adapt the LS intake to a stock Olds head with the stock intake port layout. SinSince the RR/Wenzler intake has relocated ports, they are closer to lining up.

That being said, I don't think you would notice any difference in power or drivability between an Olds intake converted to EFI vs. a plastic intake from a completely different engine that wold be modified to fit an Olds.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Well, I wasn't so much intending to adapt, say, an LS1 intake to Olds, but to see if anyone had created their own in a style similar to that, or something that was designed specifically with EFI only in mind, rather than a dual-purpose carbed/EFI intake.

Still, if there's not going to be much noticeable difference, I'm not going to sweat it. This will fall under my "it'd be nice if someone DID do this..." list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor