Does it have a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2009
Kansas City, MO
loudvolvo said:
Does a 1984 monte carlo have a computer in it?
Yes. The kick panel below the glove box, on the floor in front of the passenger door is bigger than on the driver side because it has a metal box in it with a cable that runs through the firewall to your engine.

That is the ECM...aka, your computer. Take it out and look at it if you want to; it won't hurt anything.

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
what exactly would the computer control? the 305 that i pulled out of the car didn't have any wires goin to the carb or sensors on it?

Phoenix

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2009
Kansas City, MO
loudvolvo said:
what exactly would the computer control? the 305 that i pulled out of the car didn't have any wires goin to the carb or sensors on it?

Yes. You don't need your computer then.

The computer mostly operates the Q-jet carb for efficiency and emissions.

Your 305 might be a replacement.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the ecm controls the carb, distributor timing advance and some emissions equip.
as long as you use a non-ecm distributor and carb you're fine w/out it.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
so would

my 4.3 monte carlo still need the computer then I took the cat convertor off a long time ago. But it is fuel injected.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Re: so would

1986montecarlols said:
my 4.3 monte carlo still need the computer then I took the cat convertor off a long time ago. But it is fuel injected.

hence the need for the computer on your car....it controls the injector pulse, and ultimately decides if it'll turn the fuel pump on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor