Doesn’t start unless I prime with gas/starting fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
I have a 78 Malibu with a 305 all original. It has the stock Rochester 2 barrel carb. Every morning I try to start it. I have to put gas or starting fluid in the carb to get it started. After it starts the car is fine. When I go somewhere, turn off the car and turn it back on it’s fine. It’s only when it’ss cold start. It also bogs down when I step on the gas. The carb was rebuilt also. I’ve put 91 fuel and Berryman fuel injector cleaner as well. Any suggestions or tips?

Attachments

• E900D76E-0DE6-4FAC-A0A7-09A92E984DB8.jpeg
    E900D76E-0DE6-4FAC-A0A7-09A92E984DB8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 237

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
fuel pump is weak, putting gas down the carb to start it helps the pump by pulling the fuel

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Check in the morning if your getting fuel to the squirts which sounds like your not. If that's the case it sounds like your acceleration pump isn't working - bogging kinda backs that up. Next question would be if you have fuel enough pressure to the carb. Then I would question the carb rebuild and settings.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Check in the morning if your getting fuel to the squirts which sounds like your not. If that's the case it sounds like your acceleration pump isn't working - bogging kinda backs that up. Next question would be if you have fuel enough pressure to the carb. Then I would question the carb rebuild and settings.

I will check in the morning to see if gas is spraying from the Jets. Thank you.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Ok so I have fuel going all the way to the fuel filter and no gas spraying out of the Jets. I’m gonna replace the fuel filter tomorrow. It looked pretty dirty.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok so I have fuel going all the way to the fuel filter and no gas spraying out of the Jets. I’m gonna replace the fuel filter tomorrow. It looked pretty dirty.

fuel filter could be backwards, it takes lots of dirt to plug a filter

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Didn't some of the stock carbs have well plugs that would sometimes leak the fuel into the intake?

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't some of the stock carbs have well plugs that would sometimes leak the fuel into the intake?
That wouldn't cause a starting issue this uh, frequent. When that does happen it will start and run once the bowls fill back up. My bet is filter was installed wrong or pump took a dump.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor