Doing the unstuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
IT'S ALIVE....IT'S ALIVE........IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!! Yup-it worked. Only sat for a week with my witches brew of solvents soaking the chambers and today I broke it loose. Just a few back-and-forths and she puked oil out of all the spark plug holes. I kept rotating the crankshaft for a while and the oil pump pumped, water pump pumped, everything worked. Then we got the battery hooked up and spun the motor for a while as it spit the last of the oil out. Then we put the plugs back in and gave it gas. She fired right up- no expensive noises- just some lifter clatter. WHEW!!! I told my friend he is the luckiest guy in the universe and he agreed. Thanks for all the input. I used ATF, #2 oil, and Acetone.

• Winner
Reactions: 14 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
so, a big question is, if you "fill it up" with diesel/kerosene/ATF/whatever, what is the total capacity of an engine block and cylinders? 2 galloons, 3 gallons? 5 gallons? what's the best way to "fill 'er up"? through the spark plug holes? the intake manifold?

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I didn't fill it up totally. I put about 12 quarts of used oil in the crank case because I wanted the crank to be sitting in oil when I turned it. With the spark plugs out I used a funnel with a hose on the bottom to feed oil into each hole. I began with a pint in each and some took it all but if the piston was up high some only took maybe 8 ounces. All together I poured a little less than a gallon into the 8 cylinders.

Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad it all worked out for your friend's engine, he must be happy... :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey- no one recognized the song "Doing the Unstuck" by The Cure?!? No Goths here? Oh well......

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
it came to mind but did not think of the connection.... wouldnt of thought you were a cure fan frankly

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Well, I didn't fill it up totally. I put about 12 quarts of used oil in the crank case because I wanted the crank to be sitting in oil when I turned it. With the spark plugs out I used a funnel with a hose on the bottom to feed oil into each hole. I began with a pint in each and some took it all but if the piston was up high some only took maybe 8 ounces. All together I poured a little less than a gallon into the 8 cylinders.

ok, it sounds like you'd use between 3-4 gallons. other than it being free, why used motor oil? I don't know if I'd want to pour used oil with garbage/contaminants in it into any engine I have unless the eventual plan was to disassemble, hot tank, and rebuild. seems to me new cheap motor oil would be better

-ATF is just too damn expensive IMHO for use as an "unsticker" (about $20/gal)
-oil at Walmart about $10.50/gal

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
ok, it sounds like you'd use between 3-4 gallons. other than it being free, why used motor oil? I don't know if I'd want to pour used oil with garbage/contaminants in it into any engine I have unless the eventual plan was to disassemble, hot tank, and rebuild. seems to me new cheap motor oil would be better

-ATF is just too damn expensive IMHO for use as an "unsticker" (about $20/gal)
-oil at Walmart about $10.50/gal
$20 is still cheaper than a $2000 engine rebuild.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
wouldnt of thought you were a cure fan frankly
I'm no Goth but I have been a Cure fan since 1977. Boys Don't Cry! My daughter got me tickets to see Robert and the boys at Radio City Music Hall. Best. Show. EVER. Anyway, there is no cheap motor oil around here. I used old motor oil because I knew it was going to get ruined immediately. There was sludge and water still in the motor so why waste good oil to flush it? Once I get it tuned and running perfect I will drain it and fill with good stuff. Also I had a gallon of used ATF sitting around. When I drain an automatic trans if it is clean I keep the oil for filing oil squirt cans and I use it as a penetrating oil. Waste not, want not.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey, that's good news, Mark.
If anyone could do it, I knew it would be you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor