MALIBU Dome light does not work with door switches but works with the head light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
What I thought would be a pretty easy diagnosis has me really frustrated. As noted, the dome light and under dash courtesy lights only work with the head light switch. The wires to both door pin switches are dead.
The car has the orange dome light delay box. I am not familiar with how they fail; meaning do they fail by keeping the dome light on or keeping it off?
I am also not sure where the power output to the pin switches comes from. Is it from the output side of the delay box?
I just figured I would ask before taking a crack at it again tomorrow.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I figured it out. It was the delay module. I had 4 others to try. 3 of them kept the dome light on and 1 acted like my original one and would not allow the dome light to come on. I ended up removing the module and jumping the 2 white wires at the module together. Now light works as it should.

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_172134813.jpg
    IMG_20190120_172134813.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 365
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I have not owned an earlier A body but I believe 78 was the first year for it. It seems to be a Chevrolet and Pontiac thing. Buick's and Oldsmobiles did not have it. I am not sure if Chevrolet had it to the end of the G body run. But from what I see it is trouble prone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor