Dome light orange delay box=how do I bypass it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Guys, my 82 El Camino has the orange plastic dome/courtesy delay box under the dash and it is stuck on. I put in new dome bulbs cause previous owner had them removed. The dome light stayed on with doors closed for at least 20 minutes before I removed my new bulbs. The jamb switches are working cause I removed them, cleaned, and tested them on the bench with my multi meter. There are 5 wires in the plug for the orange box=orange which is constant 12 volts, pink, black, and two whites. How can I by pass this or loop it to get it to work like a normal dome light should?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
by you wire description it sounds like you have the delay courtesy lights and sounds like that is your problem

CourtesyLightDelay.jpg

if you want to bypass the delay you could wire it like the set up without the delay. You could tap into the wire to the lighter

Clock-Cigar-CourtesyLights.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
OP: not trying to hijack the thread, just asking a question to try to help.

potiacGp: how did the factory implement the non-delay cars? Surely both optioned cars shared the same harness? I'm thinking that the cars without the delay option had some type of jumper in place?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
OP: not trying to hijack the thread, just asking a question to try to help.

potiacGp: how did the factory implement the non-delay cars? Surely both optioned cars shared the same harness? I'm thinking that the cars without the delay option had some type of jumper in place?

it looks like they did use the same wiring and added wires to go to the delay box. Looking at the diagrams again it looks like all that has to be done to bypass the delay box is to cut the power to it, remove the pink/black wire.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the pink wire is the ignition off signal to the delay timer feature telling it to keep the lights on for 30 seconds but the timer is shorted causing the lights to stay on. the pink wire only has power with the key in "run" or start position. the orange wire is constant power, and the white wire is the ground that turns on the lights. you could disconnect the white wires at the timer and hook them together allowing lights to work with the door jam switches. but i would also disconnect the orange wire, since the timer is shorted, the orange wire will be a draw on the battery, causing battery to drain and not start the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
oh, and thank you pontiacgp for the excellent wiring diagrams.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I agree with Joe. Looks like just disconnect all five wires from the delay box and connect the white wires together.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So instead of cutting up my wiring, I could unplug the delay box and make a spaded jumper wire for the two whites?

yes, drogg is correct with connecting the 2 white wires. If you look at the wiring for the none delay you'll see terminal 156 is attached to the white wire loop but with delay module terminal 156 goes to the delay module interrupting the ground feed.so you need to remove those 2 white wires and connect them to close the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor