Don't Hate the Crossover Craze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Ever since crossovers began flooding the car market several years ago, I have kinda had a dislike for them. I always thought they were boring cars pretending to be SUVs so they can fool some soccer mom's into thinking they are "rugged" and cooler than a minivan.

However, while casually looking for a new car for my sister, I came across this several years old article from Jalopnik which has changed my opinion on them.

https://jalopnik.com/you-shouldnt-hate-crossovers-and-heres-why-1660673528

As a car guy, I'm probably always going to favor the longer, lower, wider look that we all know and love, but I no longer have that same dislike for these vehicles, and I'm finding them more and more likeable.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There's no disputing crossovers' versatility, hence their insane popularity. It's just that so many of them are very "vanilla." In a round-about way, you can thank the crossover craze for bringing back the Regal wagon in the form of the Tour-X. Granted, not a G-body, but still...

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Glorified station wagons. Pffft!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
And yet, Americans (can't speak of Canadians) are drawn to crossovers like moths to a flame, and recoil in horror at wagons. Go figure.

Canadians like 4x4 pick-ups... even my wife has one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The issue with many of the crossovers is the load capacity is much less than you'd think it was.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Canadians like 4x4 pick-ups... even my wife has one.
Oh don't worry, it's not just just Canadians. We Americans like our pick-ups as well.

I also own a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since it is a Jeep there is no end to the things that need fixed on it, but it is endearing and comfortable. It will also go over washboards without rattling my teeth out and can get through the snow and ice without feeling any guilt about road salt.

SUV's aren't my first choice for a daily driver, but if you live where the weather tries to kill you part of the year they are not a terrible choice either.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I don't think the cars of the 30's and 40's were that large, just that people were smaller. And interior design was different which forces larger cars.

Easy to fit 7 people in a car when the parents sit in the front bench, the baby sits in the middle of the front, and the other kids sit in the back seat unseatbelted and another one takes the spot between the package tray and the rear window.

Putting center consoles the size of a small chest freezer in the front seat and captains chairs in the middle seat is what forces everything to have 3 rows of seats for any more than 4 people.

I used to read Jalopnik semi regularly but when i realized when they have their nice price or crack pipe article (author finds a car on craigslist for some price and people vote if it is priced "nice" or "crack pipe") I have entirely opposite views than 95% of their viewing audience.
The more I liked a car the lower percentage of people thought it was a nice price. 10 second $6k turbo regal? "Its just a ugly regal that someone swapped a turbo onto" "theres no way that car can run 10's" "worth like $2500 at the most" But a diesel brown jetta shows up "oh my so amazing".

I realize people have their own opinions, but the blatant bias towards the only racing acceptable is autocross, and the only acceptable fun car is the miata on that site makes it tough to read sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor