Dookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy P

n00b
Mar 1, 2017
DSC_0036.jpg

First off thanks to everybody here, dont know how many hours I've spent reading on this site.
Next, this was my grandfathers cruck, he drove it for 11 years then sold it to my dad for 500$ who put at least 100,000 miles on it before giving it to me at 16.
In the 12 years I've had it I've:
got it painted
dual exhaust
new carb (quadrajet)
springs w helper bags
f41 stuff (thanks timo22)
had transmission rebuilt x2
power steering pump
wiper motor
center link and tie rods

I got a job for the summer in north carolina, want to drive it up there, and need to make it road ready. My plan is:
Blazer brakes
15 inch monte carlo wheels
cooper cobras 235/60r15
hella h4 headlights
wire up an aux and put new 3.5s in the dash

What would you do before making this 15 hour journey? Dont say put in a 5.3 because I cant afford that now. 305s still runs well at 200k miles +
DSC_0035.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Just change every fluid and filter on it. And flush the cooling system

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome to the site...nice El Camino. You certainly know the history of the vehicle before you got it...and what it's been thru.

As for preparing for a 15 hr trip. I guess a fresh oil change and filter would be on the list. Check all your fluids...check or replace your plugs, check your plug wires, brakes...it couldn't hurt to repack your wheel bearings if you don't know when it's been done last. Replace your wiper blades. Make sure you're up to date on your tunes, and that your equipment is working well....nothing like driving long distance and your sound system craps out.
Check the condition of your tires and make sure they all are properly inflated.
I'm sure there's other things that weren't addressed, but that should get you started.

Oh yeah, cooling system flush...thanks L67ss..^^

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Might be a good time to upgrade the radiator. 98-03 s10 aluminum radiators are a near direct swap and can be had for $100-120 new

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Other ideas, check lights, belts and wiper blades. Check hoses. Have brake hoses ever been changed?

Nice car and nice story. Welcome to the site from Houston.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dookie, I love that album. :p

Nice Elco.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is a nice clean truck. I get jealous with your southern cars that have no rust. You don't have to worry about blocking your licence plate. When you drive around it's exposed to local people who are more apt to track the truck down to grab it if they are so inclined....Along with the other suggestions if you put in the hella conversion lenses you will need to put a relay in the high beam wiring and it's not a bad idea to put a relay in for the low beams as well, unless your putting in hid's which some with a wiring harness that has a relay in it.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Really to be honest the way people cover their plates for pics is pointless

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Andy P

n00b
Mar 1, 2017
I just saw other people covering license plates, I assumed it was for a good reason. I hadn't considered a new radiator, we'll see how far I get. plugs are good, wires I believe are the same as when I got it. Belts are good. Fuel filter oil filter and change are on the list. Brake lines I'd bet are original, tires have tread but are quite old (one of the two reasons I'm looking for n90s) Should I put new front brearings in when I do the blazer brake upgrade? I dont have the desire to repack the old ones (dont have enough tools or space to work with). Finally I'll take your advice on the headlights, plan on doing those with a friend who knows more about electrical... and sticking with the halogens that come with the h4s

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The reason I suggested the relay in at least the high beam wiring is because when I put in halogen bulbs the low beam worked good but when I hit the high beams on an old dark country road the headlight switch tripped and shut the headlights off. I just had to turn the headlights off and back on but until I put in relays I didn't use the high beams. For your brake lines they look to be in good shape from what I can see in the picture of the rear end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor