Door hard to close with windows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
87 Monte Carlo. When closing the door it catches latches but does not close all the way if both windows are up. If any windows are down then the doors close properly. I suspect there is a venting issue when closing the doors. How do I fix this? It is a real pain to have to slam a door to shut it. I end up cracking my window when a passenger gets in so they can easily close their door and the closing my window once their in.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
Are the windows catching on the blow out clips? If they are you might have to adjust the glass back and or down.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Can you feel pressure in your ears if you are sitting in the car and you shut the door with both windows rolled up? I'd think you would if it's a venting issue.

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
welcome to the wonderful world of frameless windows my friend. there's a pressure vent in each door jamb that should automatically vent said pressure when you close the door.

• Agree

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Was the weatherstripping recently replaced?

Weather stripping was replaced a while ago. It seals tight until you hit 40 MPH and the wind noise starts.
Are the windows catching on the blow out clips? If they are you might have to adjust the glass back and or down.
I doubt it is this since if the driver's window is open the passenger door has no issue closing.

welcome to the wonderful world of frameless windows my friend. there's a pressure vent in each door jamb that should automatically vent said pressure when you close the door.
How do I go about fixing this? I suspect that the vents may not be working. The passenger door is the main issue.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
You can go to Gbody parts.com. They used to sell a book How to Eliminate Window Rattles and Wind Noise by Peter Serio. It's a step by step orderly window adjustment manual. If they don't carry it anymore I have one I'll sell.

As to your issue, when I had my '84 Cutlass coupe I found out there's about 18 or so adjustments on these windows. When you move one that "upsets" another one. It takes lots of patience & occasionally walking away from it to get it. Getting new weather stripping always seems to cause these issues. Before I sold my car, I never solved a wind noise issue on my right door glass where the glass meets the top of the door at the door front. I had my doors off once to repaint the jams & I think the right one wasn't put on quite right.

One tip if you're having wind noise is to duck tape off that door frame vent, put your fan on high, close the door & spray soapy water around the glass. Bubbles will tell you where a leak is.

Good luck; these window adjustments are a royal pain in the *ss. You're not the first person who has to have a window slightly down to shut the door without slamming it.

Reactions: 1 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I doubt it is the window adjustment at this point. If the drivers window is down and the passenger window is up the passenger door closes fine. If I then close the drivers window I have an issue closing the passenger door when the passenger window is up. If I lower the passenger window when the drivers window is up and close the passenger door it closes fine.

How do I verify the vent in the door jam is working? How can it not be letting out enough air?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If you open your door, look in the door jam.Above the striker, There should be a black Louvered piece of plastic.It will have a rubber membrane on the back side of it you may have to use a flashlight to see it.All it does is open when the door is closed. Even if it was broken it would still relive the cabin pressure.It works the same as a dry Vent on the outside of your house.

• Agree

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Did you have this problem before you changed the weatherstrip?
I was sorting out my service bulletins a few days ago and found this one. Not saying it will solve your problem but there was a change for reason.
Aftermarket weatherstrip is not as soft as the original, complaints that i have heard was door not closing correctly with both windows up. Solution, adjusting the window. Check out the vents first like others have said and report back with your findings.
20210720_201338.jpg

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor