Door hinge roller bearing replacement/rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Has anyone had their door go clunk-clunk-clunk when opening? Both of my doors are doing it. I just replaced the upper hinge on the drivers door with a nice tight one off of a 4-door Malibu (which I found out has a smaller spring) thinking it would cure all issues the old (hogged-out hinge pin hole) one had. As soon as the spring was reinstalled and tension was put back on the bearing during installation, it started to squeak and clunk just as, if not worse than, the worn out original had.

Are there any replacement bearings available out there? I have seen the Dorman/"Help!" ones at Auto Zone, but they look different (I think they are for GM trucks). If not, are they rebuildable somehow? I soaked the one on the current hinge in 5W-30 synthetic motor oil for a week before I installed it, but it takes about a whole can of WD-40 to make it somewhat tolerable now. Any ideas?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The bushings and pins are available from your local GM dealer. I guess the Dormans help parts should be adequate enough. Just bring an old bushing and pin along with you so you can match them up.

Oz71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2012
North Florida
X2
The doorman pin & bushing kit is what I used to replace both sides about 3 months ago.. Works great and were like $5 a piece... Very easy to install...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Longroof79 said:
I guess the Dormans help parts should be adequate enough. Just bring an old bushing and pin along with you so you can match them up.

I think they come with oversize bushings as well in case the pin has worn past the bushing

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Are you guys referring to the hinge pins and bronze bushings? I mean the roller bearing that the hinge arm rides on, the one with the 3 round divets in it; it keeps the door from opening to far/stay open when opened. If it is a GM part, what is the part#?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
don't blame me, I was following longroof's lead... :mrgreen:

found this on another site...

It's staked in so you'll need to grind or chisel away the top of the pin then it knocks out downwards.

The replacements I've seen (Motormite/Dorman) are pretty horrible quality; they also don't fit right. You have to open up the large (lower) hole with a die grinder and keep trying until the new part fits. It secures with an E-clip at the top so no worry about having to stake it in.

Dorman/Motormite # 38433
Balkamp (NAPA) # BK 6755165
Disco Automotive # 2168PK (though I don't think I could buy "Disco" brand!)

235354.jpg

or you can one from a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor