Door Hinge Roller replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
OK guys, I have rebuilt a ton of A and G body hinges, along with other makes. But, the hinges on my wagon have bad rollers. I never noticed it and rebuilt the hinges with new bushings and pins, now that they are together I realized the rollers are crappy and make a nice cluck when opening and closing the door.

So, I have a full spare set of wagon hinges (all 8), and I will be rebuilding those. I have been looking into using the 68-72 A body hinge rollers and modifying them to work. As we all know, there don't seem to be any replacement hinge rollers for the 78-87 A/G body.

Here is what I plan on using http://www.autometaldirect.com/chq-68-72-a-body-lower-door-hinge-roller-repair-set-p-2117.html

I was on the elcamino forums and seen this http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=25641 so I don't think it should be too bad a modification. I know this was for the 73-77 A body, but the hinges look very similar.

I will tackle this in a few weeks. Once the wagon is at my buddies for paint, I'll rebuild this set real quick to throw on when we jamb the car in.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I guess the guy over at ElCaminoCentral used the '70's A-body rollers. Looks like he certainly got them to work without too much effort. I admit I never replaced the rollers, just the pins and bushings.
It seems like a good alternative to replacing the non-available G-body rollers.

MollytheOldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2013
Manassas,Va
I bought mine from GM Classic Parts
sales@gmclassicparts Phone: 770-258-0875
DO8035 DOOR HINGE ROLLER GM $12.25 x 2
Hard part was getting the pin back into place.
Looking back I should have done what Blake442 did and buy the complete repop hinge and be done with it. Still might do that...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The roller was bad on just my drivers door.
I'm so lazy I just bought a repop hinge... lol
I was looking into some, but the drivers side seems to be out of stock everywhere.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I bought mine from GM Classic Parts
sales@gmclassicparts Phone: 770-258-0875
DO8035 DOOR HINGE ROLLER GM $12.25 x 2
Hard part was getting the pin back into place.
Looking back I should have done what Blake442 did and buy the complete repop hinge and be done with it. Still might do that...
I see just the roller with plastic bushing, a different part number though. Is that what you bought?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
When I was at my last job, I got one for a 1986 Regal right from GM. No problems/questions from the salesman, in stock and received it the same day. This was 2012. Maybe I'm missing something.

Regardless, during installation I did something wrong and it clunks just as bad as the old one. Since then I've purchased new complete hinges by Goodmark from RockAuto for very little money but have yet to install them.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The rockauto hinge, the drivers side, is out of stock. I will need something in the next 2 weeks to use so I have to repair mine.

MollytheOldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2013
Manassas,Va
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor