Door Lock Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang,

I have a 78 Malibu with manual locks. The lock mechanism in the door latch works fine and the cylinder turns fine, but when I turn the key, the cylinder turns, but it doesn't turn the lever on the back side of the lock that controls the lock actuator rod. The pin that comes out the back of the cylinder just turns in the clip and the lever doesn't move far enough to work the lock.
Mike's Montes has new lock cylinders, but they don't come with the lever that controls the lock. My question is, is the lock cylinder worn out, or is the lever on the back of the cylinder worn out? I don't necessarily want to replace the lock cylinder if I don't need to, because I'll have to replace all three. Has anyone else had this problem?
I had to replace the inner door handle, so I have the door panel off already, but I don't want to put it all back together until I fix this lock problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The lever is steel, the cylinder pawl is zinc, which is much softer. My money would be on the cylinder having a groove worn in it.

Best bet is to pull the cylinder, unclip the lever, and check for wear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks Ribbedroof. That's what I'll do. The locks seem to be much easier to get than the lever.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Be aware, lock cylinders are different between coupes and sedans/wagons

Additionally, the key slot in the cylinder changes every year in a 4 year cycle, if you're trying to match the existing trunk/glovebox lock

No clue which key blank the aftermarket sets use

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you're cylinder is screwed, it's a PITA, but get another lock cylinder and re-code it to fit your key. It would take a bit of tedious skills, but it's do-able. I've done it before, albeit years ago. I took the pins out of the old cylinder and placed them exactly how they were into a new lock cylinder. Put it all together and the original key worked perfectly.

Look at your keys and determine if all your stuff is wearing out, maybe try and find some new lock sets. You may be just at the start chasing down lock cylinder wear-out issues.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I took the cylinder out, and it seems like there is a lot of play in the post that comes out the back. Also the pawl doesn't sit on there tightly. I'm guessing (just a guess) that when I get a new lock cylinder and put a brand new clip on, the pawl will be tight and there wont be a lot of play. As it is right now, everything seems really loose.
I don't mind having to change all three lock cylinders. I had the trunk one out today and that was super easy. At least I'll have brand new keys. The lock sets aren't really expensive either.
Thanks for your help the both of you, and if there is anything else I should know, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm just limping along from one crisis to the next on this car, but I'm having a blast doing it! New front coilovers coming tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Here's something else that I noticed on the lock pawl. It seems like the part that sticks out into the center of the circle is worn after 40 years of unlocking the door, so that it fits loosely on the cylinder. How could I build this out so that it fits tightly again? Still not sure if this is the problem or not. I have 3 cylinders coming from Summit, but I think this pawl might be worn, so new cylinders may not fix the issue. Any opinions?
Screenshot_20210324-191457_Gallery.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not going to change the glovebox lock? I hate 3-key cars, but that's just me

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I got new locks and that totally fixed the problem. Drivers door lock works fine now, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the clip behind the trunk lock. I keep running into these little hurdles, but the car is going to be like brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor