Door Lock relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
I put new solenoid in my 87 El Camino today hoping that that would fix the problems I was having. When I activate the either switch all I get is a clicking sound in the relay. It does not appear to have enough voltage to trip the relay. If I was going to come off the fuse block and tap straight into the relay, what wire would tie into? There is orange and black, black, tan, blue and black coming out of the two prong switch.
Thanks

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
Before cutting up any wires, it's best to do some troubleshooting.

The PDL uses 2 seperate circuits. The door switches activate the relay behind the passenger kick panel with voltage from the "Clock Lighter Ctsy light" fuse--20a, 18 gauge orange wire. If the relay is clicking on both lock and unlock, then this circuit is okay, and the relay is likely good.

The relay itself takes 12v from the "power accessory" circuit breaker, to the door lock motors. The relay switches the 12v and ground connections that go to the door motors, to either lock or unlock.

The simplest way to test this is to put a voltmeter on the relay output (16 gauge gray and tan wires). For lock, the gray has 12v and the tan ground. For unlock, tan is 12v, gray is ground. The ground is provided through the relay case, so check that it is solidly attached to the body.

Hope this helps,
-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor