Door Panel Dying Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. My 87 need a little tlc on the door panels they have the fabric on the top half. They were burgundy but the tops are faded to gray. I was wondeing how easy it would be to hit them with dye to clean them up a bit... any input on what product to use, conditions or tricks?

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
That for the plastic panels right. I was looking for a fabric dye.

Baltimore86CL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Baltimore MD
Duplicolor dye works well, but you may have to redo it every few years. I have used it many times at the shop with great results, even on plastic and soft vinyl.

Baltimore86CL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Baltimore MD
betsy84 said:
When dying fabric, not to hijack, but it'll help you too, what's a product that doesnt turn the fabric hard? Most dyes I've encountered makes it crusty and gross....

the duplicolor does that, but after a few days of normal wear, that goes away. I did the carpet in my prelude and an expo at work and the carpet is just like new now. Definatly a good point though. Select Product has a 3 step dye, or atleast they used to, that worked great but for alot more money

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
While we're on the subject, I asked about fabric dye, as I've only dyed an arm rest, I'm not familiar. However, I thought I'd mention I have seen Mercedes vinyl dyed with SEM vinyl dye sprayed from a paint gun, and came out amazing. You'd never know, carpet, seats, trim pieces, everything, blue to black. So perhaps try a SEM dye? I know they do alot of OEM colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor