Door Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I was looking on Dixie Restoration and i saw they offered door panels that have a speaker location. Has anyone added or reolacted the front speakers to the door? How hard was it and would you suggest putting tweeters in place of the dash speaker?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Former stereo installer here- I made some kickpanels out of 3/4" MDF and hung the tweeters under the dash corners in mine. It's a concept called psychoacoustics where your brain gets fooled into thinking the soundstage is directly in front of you by equalizing the pathlengths to each ear, as best as possible within the confines of a vehicle cabin.
Now with all the technical mumbo-jumbo out of the way, let's talk G-body physical limitations. First, the door panels don't have much usable depth in the prime areas where you would normally mount speakers, THEN you have that goofy ledge extending forward from the armrest limiting speaker circumference. SO, that leaves you a space to mount puny 4" (maybe 5 1/4") speakers by cutting holes in the panel and door metal to do it conventionally. Otherwise, you need to build a custom panel either integrated into or replacing the lower section to build it out enough for depth and circumference of a decent driver. I'll be doing a set of 8s in all 4 doors of the $200 Cutlass for my buddy in the next couple of months. I'll be sure to chronicle the event here.
Pics of my kickpanels: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/operation-lipstick-on-a-pig.64137/page-55

Reactions: 1 user

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sorry, I did kind of glaze over the original question, but they do replace the lower panel as I suggested. They would work, but ABS is extremely subject to making noise (buzzing, rattles, etc.) when a speaker is involved. If you go that route, consider them cosmetic only, and reinforce the speaker mounting surface as much as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
You know more than I on this stuff. I welcome any insight into this.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
We just installed a set of those door panels that hold 2 speakers per door. They fit good and installed easily. I can't say how the sound is since the new owner of the car will be installing the stereo. I would say if your door panels are in bad shape these would be a good option, if your door panels are good build some kick panels like fleming442 suggested.

This is in a Chevy truck but is a helpful write up on building kick panels Sonic Nirvana

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
We may be a bit biased here but after installing them in the shop car and thoroughly testing out the stereo, the only time we ever see an issue is when people try to put a pair of 6.5-inch speakers on and they have a very large magnet. Even then it tends to be a not enough room situation more than anything. If you do plan on using a lot of bass we recommend a dynamat type insulation on the door to help with the vibration. As always if you have any questions feel free to give us a call.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On both my Monte and Regal since they power windows I installed 6.5" door speakers where the window switch would be and moved the switch to the lower door panel.
On my Monte I installed a component set up and put the tweeters where the 3.5' speakers were and the Regal I installed new 3.5" and have a 2 way door speaker.
I also made the upper door panels to make a dedicated spot for the speakers.

IMG_0897.JPG
20170716_205401_resized.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Has anyone done oval speakers hidden behind the carpet strip along the bottom of the door? I'd like to add a few more speakers, but keep kind of a stealth appearance.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Has anyone done oval speakers hidden behind the carpet strip along the bottom of the door? I'd like to add a few more speakers, but keep kind of a stealth appearance.
It can be done fairly easily. It wouldn't be on my list, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor