Doors hard to unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017
Sup guys
Guess it's time to change the locking mechanism in my doors, driver door it keeps popping the plastic clip that holds the rod from the key lock to the mechanism and passenger door I almost bend the key when I try to unlock it. I've sprayed wd40, lithium grease, and BP blaster and nothing helps.

Any advise guys thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take the lock out and soak it in a bucket of diesel fuel for a day or two

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's most likely not the lock cylinder. The actual latch (GM calls this the lock assembly) gets full of dirt, and the 40 year old grease dries out. My fix is to pull the latch out, soak in Berryman's chem-dip for a day ,you'll pull out an amazingly clean latch. I use a product called Kent pene-grease to spray inside the latch to lubricate and prevent corrosion. Door latches need to be lubed, and almost no one ever does. Same for hood latches.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's most likely not the lock cylinder. The actual latch (GM calls this the lock assembly) gets full of dirt, and the 40 year old grease dries out. My fix is to pull the latch out, soak in Berryman's chem-dip for a day ,you'll pull out an amazingly clean latch. I use a product called Kent pene-grease to spray inside the latch to lubricate and prevent corrosion. Door latches need to be lubed, and almost no one ever does. Same for hood latches.
Same as carb dip? I was getting ready to do my latches on Spare Rocket Parts, and was thinking about a vinegar soak first. I also have a blast cabinet. Blast first, then vinegar, or vice versa, or carb dip?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I also use diesel or #2 oil. Cheap, non-explosive, works great. Just give it time to work. Then rinse with gas or carb cleaner.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Same as carb dip? I was getting ready to do my latches on Spare Rocket Parts, and was thinking about a vinegar soak first. I also have a blast cabinet. Blast first, then vinegar, or vice versa, or carb dip?
don't blast em',you'll never get all that stuff out and it'll just it grind away.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
like anything else,it's open to interpretation.i look at a lock assembly and say i'd rather flush a liquid detergent out than try and get an abrasive out of it moving parts and all.that's just me though.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I did blast both of mine, and it was extremely effective. Absolutely zero crap left in them. However some of the blasting media does make it inside, spending a few minutes freeing up the moving parts afterwards quickly takes care of that tho. Once they move freely, there’s no more grinding. Then I just give ‘em a thorough blow out with compressed air and paint them.
Easy peasy.

Soaking them would be effective too, providing you have a solvent strong enough to remove the crud. When I tried soaking the first one in the parts washer at work, the solvent didn’t even touch the crap that was in there. But your results may vary.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as I’m concerned. Whatever works best for ya.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well this is probably the solution to my problem too. I keep bending the rod to the outside handle, breaking the inside handle, and my lock is very hard to turn.

And it's really hard to remove that door panel with new retainers all the way around. Really getting tired of that.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor