double hump crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Yep...Jegs has some fair priced. But if yours is a Supreme they might not fit, even after tweaking. Summit has the only bolt in double hump crossmembers I've found for a Supreme, but they're just shy of $300. I went to a local exhaust shop with a good reputation and they fabricated a second hump on my original for $88 after tax. If you go the shop route, ask questions and make sure they do it right...notch it out and weld in a solid steel half circle of pipe. The shop I went to uses 6" diameter 1/2" thick. Either mark the crossmember where the notch needs to be, remove it, and take it to the shop or you can just drive over with open headers and pray that you don't get pulled over (I did the latter). Unless you or a buddy is decent welder, then you can just do it yourself.

You COULD have a y-pipe fabricated to use the single hump, but I found this to be more expensive than getting the second notch.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
moose said:
Yep...Jegs has some fair priced. But if yours is a Supreme they might not fit, even after tweaking. Summit has the only bolt in double hump crossmembers I've found for a Supreme, but they're just shy of $300. I went to a local exhaust shop with a good reputation and they fabricated a second hump on my original for $88 after tax. If you go the shop route, ask questions and make sure they do it right...notch it out and weld in a solid steel half circle of pipe. The shop I went to uses 6" diameter 1/2" thick. Either mark the crossmember where the notch needs to be, remove it, and take it to the shop or you can just drive over with open headers and pray that you don't get pulled over (I did the latter). Unless you or a buddy is decent welder, then you can just do it yourself.

You COULD have a y-pipe fabricated to use the single hump, but I found this to be more expensive than getting the second notch.

I have a Supreme and the JEGS crossmember bolted in just fine. The frames on the Supreme aren't any different than the frames on the rest of the G bodies, except the wagons and ElCaminos.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Yes you will!! 8)

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Go for the iceman crossmember. He has a link on Maliburacing.com. That's what I have in my monte and I must say that the welds, bends, etc are top notch. Plus cheaper than a Jegs crossmember..

350cutlassguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2010
Is the iceman crosemember legit? Doesn't look that good.. looks to thin and how much is it? Doesn't show prices..

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
outsider_27 said:
moose said:

I have a Supreme and the JEGS crossmember bolted in just fine. The frames on the Supreme aren't any different than the frames on the rest of the G bodies, except the wagons and ElCaminos.

I know the frames aren't any different. It says right on their website, "Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino." So I called for more info and was told by a Jeg's tech rep that the bolt holes on SOME Supremes are located slightly different than a non-Supreme, and they say it won't fit ANY on the site to cover their *ss. The rep claimed to know someone who wasn't able to use a Jegster on his Supreme. I don't personally know anyone with a non-Supreme to let me compare crossmembers so I just took my car to a shop. Also, for some reason I recall the Summit brand being more expensive when I was looking for a crossmember, which is why I didn't get it...oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor