double humps vs. vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtrent

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
Hey guys I found a set of 461 casting 2.02 inch double hump heads. They have new stainless valves and have been tanked checked and fully rebuilt. 300 bucks is the asking price. A good set of vortecs in that condition cost way more. Is the extra money worth it for the vortec heads. Or would the 461's be just as good if i put money into porting.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well around here you can get vortecs in great condition for about 200-300 bucks. Double humps about hte same.. I dont know why. I would sell those and run vortecs all the way and don't look back. Double humps=40 year technology. Vortecs=technology in use

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Vortecs always seem to come out on top when magazines do a "dyno shootout" but you probably won't actually feel a huge difference on the typical street motor. There is certainly a technology advantage with the Vortec heads. They were reportedly modeled after the LT1 heads and make great torque. Probably a more important point is that the 461s don't have the accessory hole on the front that you'll need for alternator brackets, etc.

83grandprix383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2010
Paynesville, MN
i am curently running double hump heads with all the goodies stainless steel valves screw in studs roller rockers ported anded polish on my 383. They helped make some good numbers on the dyno. The only thing that i dont like is that they do not have acc. holes had to fab bracket for the alternator and had to purchase a low mount p.s pump bracket from a junkyard. If i had to do it all over again i would still run the double humps they have been working great for me.

88olds421

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have been running the vortecs since 2002 and have had them on a 350 and they performed great there and now have them on my 421, a build that was inspired back when chevy high performance built their 406 with the vortec back in 04 and made 430 hp and 525 foot punds of toque on pump gas. The heads perform great, the only mods to the heads are new springs and machined guides to accept over.500 inches of lift. They produce great torque throughout the rpm range. If I am correct on that 406 they were making 470 foot pounts around 2000 rpms and never fell back below that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
83...I think if you slapped on a set of vortec heads you might be surprised

the other thing beside bolt on power they give you good fuel economy..

bigtrent

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
well thanks a bunch guys Vortecs it is. Now i just gotta learn to install these pesky timing gears :lol:

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
bigtrent said:
well thanks a bunch guys Vortecs it is. Now i just gotta learn to install these pesky timing gears :lol:

Lol no fear thats cake man. You should see the timing set on a mercedes turbo diesel o_O ....

I would pick up those dumble humps and sell them on ebay. On ebay guys are actually looking for specific casting numbers for a matching numbers motor. You could come out way ahead.

O and run vortecs on your motor lol.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
If someone didn't tell you by now Vortec's are way better than double humps...unless they're on the ladies :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor