Down and out (BACK AND RUNNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
After stressing out and thrashing for the last month trying to finish up the car for the car season I am out just a mere week after getting it on the road. Drove it to work and home today with no issues. I go to leave the house 30 mins after getting home and BAM, no oil pressure. I shut it down, check everything out and don't find any obvious problems.

Pull the hose off at the back of the gauge and crank it......nothing but air and a small spurt of oil. Pulled valve covers and found silver oil. My form of therapy is dead in the water.

My truck needs tires, I need the truck paid off, saving for a house, girlfriend is dropping hints about a ring, etc....looks like I'm pulling the wheels and tires and as much as I hate it, letting it sit. Shame is I can't even sell it as it is unless I wanna take a massive loss.

Don't mind my sob story. Do a burnout for your fallen G-body brother this year.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
well that just sucks. I hear ya though brother. Both the Monte and my boat will sit until I sort out my work situation here. Ideally you have someplace to park it until you get the time and funds to get back to it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Take a breather and have a look at it when you don't feel so overwhelmed. I'd take the distributor out to see if there is a problem with the shaft that drives the oil pump. Did you use any additives or some kind of lube on the cam and crank when reassembling that may have changed the color of the oil?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Take a breather and have a look at it when you don't feel so overwhelmed. I'd take the distributor out to see if there is a problem with the shaft that drives the oil pump. Did you use any additives or some kind of lube on the cam and crank when reassembling that may have changed the color of the oil?
I used Lucas assembly oil but the last time I did anything to the engine was over a year/3000 miles ago. Oil is Valvoline VR1. I swapped to a roller cam when I saw evidence that the flat tappet was wearing uneven. Had the filter cut, oil analyzed and my engine builder buddy said he would swap cam/lifters and run it since I caught it before any pressure loss or damage had occurred. Like I said that was 2 years ago and I drove the wheels off of last summer. Either way I can't afford to touch it right now unless I either come into a bunch of money or someone hooks me up.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Man that sucks!!! Let it sit until the disgust wears off and troubleshoot it like pontiacgp said. You got my number if you need a hand.

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As Pontiacgp take that breather. You need to investigate and find the cause. Since the last thing you did was the cam I would start there and I can think of a dozen thinks to cause the problem. The rest of your engine may be ok especially if you running non by-pass.

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Man that sucks!!! Let it sit until the disgust wears off and troubleshoot it like pontiacgp said. You got my number if you need a hand.
I wish you were closer because I need a place to put this thing til I can stomach it. The garage is full with the Barracuda and Olds projects lol.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
As Pontiacgp take that breather. You need to investigate and find the cause. Since the last thing you did was the cam I would start there and I can think of a dozen thinks to cause the problem. The rest of your engine may be ok especially if you running non by-pass.
Yea im assuming that whatever metal from the old cam was left over after the oil change finally did some damage. The only reason I even found out about the cam before was because I changed the intake and just happened to see some spots on it through the lifter valley. 2 of the lifters had uneven wear but no pressure drop, noise, etc... I really thought I caught it in time. Who knows it could be anything at this point.

Im also not ruling out the oil pickup falling off. That would explain why I had pressure til I shut it off then 30 mins later had nothing. Maybe that short amount of time was long enough for the oil to drain back and the system to lose it's "prime". If the pickup fell off it wouldn't be able to pull anymore. At this point it doesn't matter. Damage is done and its gotta come out either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor