Dr Olds Burnout Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Red Locktite!
It maybe time for the permit stuff. Just wary of the stuff that needs a hot wrench for removal. What is the set time on the permanent stuff?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
36e8yd.jpg

Red Locktite!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, the pinion seal came in for the 88, geez $22 later. Remove the straps and easy spin off the pinion nut by hand. I removed the yoke and changed the seal. I hammered it the nut with my impact to make sure the bearing fully seated. I cleaned up the threads with carb then brake cleaner after brake taking the nut right off. I impact till it just touches, perfect torque according to my torque wrench with permanent thread locker on the threads. Put a liter of 75W140 to top it up. I bag the piss out of it, all good

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Last night I went from getting a ride in a 2017 Mustang GT convertible 5L 6spd with 3" aftermarket exhaust to the Burnout machine. Ironically it doesn't burn out very easy but it is no slouch. Yes, the GT is way quicker but not as night and day as you would imagine. Two totally different V8 motors with totally different characteristics. That 5L has good torque for its displacement but is obviously designed for high rpm performance, it just keeps pulling. The bone stock inside 73 8 to 1 peanut cam Olds 350 with a custom tuned 800 cfm Qjet, Sanderson shorties and 2.5" X pipe exhaust performs. Yes it has a 2004R with a bigger boost valve but 4200 rpm shift points and stock stall, maybe 1900 along with 3.42 and fairly tall 26.3" tires. By the way, I found a poor man's supercharger. Buy one of the universal plastic torque converter covers. They fit so tight that under hard throttle only, with all that low end twist, the flywheel contacts the cover, seriously sounds like a supercharger winding up. It adds to the driving experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The car runs great, runs hard for what it is and earning its name. There is just one issue the throttle is sticking after WOT runs. Not every time but too often. I am running the factory Dualjet dual return spring bracket. I wonder if the cable is catching some how or if the gasket is hanging up still? I have a thin Mr Gasket 4 hole cut to an open gasket, a 1/2" open and a 4 hole thin Mr Gasket on a stock #17 iron intake manifold. I did this to keep a bit of heat off the carb and it is as high as you can go with the stock hot air choke parts.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I kind like the hot air choke but could go electric. Of course I could put in the Performer cam on my shelf, Performer intake with 1" spacer and my 62 to 64cc #6 heads with 2.05" intake valves along with the 2350 stall really go like hell. I think just sorting out the throttle sticking issue I'd good. I do plan on doing a compression test to how healthy the motor is.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well a great 5 hour round trip, 430 km. The 88 performed flawlessly, 165 to 180 temp, 45 psi steady cruising oil pressure at a steady 65 to 68 mph, around 2000 rpm. My Optimum Grey fix on the cruise servo fixed it, now rock steady, no more surging up and down. The best part, 24 mpg Imperial. I could probably knock down 25 mpg just by doing 60 mph. Somehow my speedometer is only 1 or 2 mph fast comparing against my gps speedo app, thought it was off by 5 mph. Just a great cruising car, used nothing as far as oil, trans or antifreeze.

Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well a great 5 hour round trip, 430 km. The 88 performed flawlessly, 165 to 180 temp, 45 psi steady cruising oil pressure at a steady 65 to 68 mph, around 2000 rpm. My Optimum Grey fix on the cruise servo fixed it, now rock steady, no more surging up and down. The best part, 24 mpg Imperial. I could probably knock down 25 mpg just by doing 60 mph. Somehow my speedometer is only 1 or 2 mph fast comparing against my gps speedo app, thought it was off by 5 mph. Just a great cruising car, used nothing as far as oil, trans or antifreeze.
Wow my B body only get 18.8 with efi at 70mph Must have something to do with the aero dynamics
Keep cruising

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow my B body only get 18.8 with efi at 70mph Must have something to do with the aero dynamics
Keep cruising
Remember it is imperial mpg, so similar to your car 20 US mpg and this car is no lightweight, close to 4000 pounds with me and all the spare parts, including 2 tires and rims in the trunk. Honestly, within 2 mpg of the 260 with way more power is awesome. Ironically the 307 Qjet got worse mpg than this custom Qjet on this motor like 4 mpg. Also worse on the other 350. Of course being able to adjust the APT helps mpg, lean it out in 2 seconds. I plan on doing a compression test on this 350 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor