Drag and Drive events 2023 edition

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I thought the livestream was a really cool idea. Seen alot of "famous" cars, bunch of gbodys and seen 64nailhead make 3 runs. I seen your 9.4 run but not the last run Mist importantly my boy watched a bit with me. When I explained the rules and what you do, he's counting the days to sick week '24. My dad lives 30 mins from Orlando and an hr from Bradenton so we can see family also. Congrats on completion, a PB, time with your boy, and nothing broke. I'll be honest I watched a day 4 run in Orlando, and it looked unhappy. You lifted way early and cruised to the stripe. In my head I was hoping nothing broke.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I thought the livestream was a really cool idea. Seen alot of "famous" cars, bunch of gbodys and seen 64nailhead make 3 runs. I seen your 9.4 run but not the last run Mist importantly my boy watched a bit with me. When I explained the rules and what you do, he's counting the days to sick week '24. My dad lives 30 mins from Orlando and an hr from Bradenton so we can see family also. Congrats on completion, a PB, time with your boy, and nothing broke. I'll be honest I watched a day 4 run in Orlando, and it looked unhappy. You lifted way early and cruised to the stripe. In my head I was hoping nothing broke.
Yeah that was ugly. I was trying to rush another run. The guy next me bumped over the second beam and when the light went green an official was out there trying to back him up. So I wasn't sure what I should do until they told us to backup. Well, I sat there on the brake for more than 5-6 seconds (trans heat building) and I was barely cool enough to come up and make a clean hit to start with. While I was backing up I checked my temps and the trans was in the danger zone of getting to 200+ by the end of the run. So I decided, while sitting on the brake at the line a 2nd time, to dump out of it and not smoke the transmission - at least I think that's the run you are referencing.

My last run on day 5 while in the lights I realized I never turned on the master switch (that has to be on to activate the transbrake and Mac valve power switch, which also tied the 3rd pump into. So I panicked a little and flailed about a little to get both switches on without going over the second beam. I sat on the line for a bit after that to build boost, but that was 149,8mph run - so it was worth it. If you weren't aware, it's a process to get from in front of the burnout box to the end of the track - one missed step and kaflooey on the run or data from the run. I've embarrassed myself plenty, but I don't give a rat's *ss about that. It's more that we only get a limited number of runs at these events and wasting one or several is bad juju.

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Yeah that was ugly. I was trying to rush another run. The guy next me bumped over the second beam and when the light went green an official was out there trying to back him up. So I wasn't sure what I should do until they told us to backup. Well, I sat there on the brake for more than 5-6 seconds (trans heat building) and I was barely cool enough to come up and make a clean hit to start with. While I was backing up I checked my temps and the trans was in the danger zone of getting to 200+ by the end of the run. So I decided, while sitting on the brake at the line a 2nd time, to dump out of it and not smoke the transmission - at least I think that's the run you are referencing.

My last run on day 5 while in the lights I realized I never turned on the master switch (that has to be on to activate the transbrake and Mac valve power switch, which also tied the 3rd pump into. So I panicked a little and flailed about a little to get both switches on without going over the second beam. I sat on the line for a bit after that to build boost, but that was 149,8mph run - so it was worth it. If you weren't aware, it's a process to get from in front of the burnout box to the end of the track - one missed step and kaflooey on the run or data from the run. I've embarrassed myself plenty, but I don't give a rat's *ss about that. It's more that we only get a limited number of runs at these events and wasting one or several is bad juju.
Yep that was it, I think there was a pickup in the far lane.
I'm a complete novice (unless theres something lower) as far drag racing goes. I'm gonna need a teacher, just not to look like an idiot. Lol. But i can tell after reading thru your thread and a few others. Its alot more then just mashing the loud pedal. I Never plan on going fast like you, but we wanna do a few dnd events for sure. Heck I think when I started building my car I said "it'll never see a drag srtip" lol.
Is there an age restriction for your co pilot at any of these events?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yep that was it, I think there was a pickup in the far lane.
I'm a complete novice (unless theres something lower) as far drag racing goes. I'm gonna need a teacher, just not to look like an idiot. Lol. But i can tell after reading thru your thread and a few others. Its alot more then just mashing the loud pedal. I Never plan on going fast like you, but we wanna do a few dnd events for sure. Heck I think when I started building my car I said "it'll never see a drag srtip" lol.
Is there an age restriction for your co pilot at any of these events?
Nope. As long as a guardian is with them.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Too far for me. Have sun south easty people.

I'll be doing drag weekend again

FB_IMG_1677207256344.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not sure if anyone here watched much of Sick Summer (ended this past Friday). It was not a good week for the heavy hitters - YT big dollar guys’ motors all bit the dust. And in typical Sick_______ fashion, the live stream spends virtually zero time focusing on anyone other than the big name YT’ers with $50-100k motors.

No matter, I enjoyed watching and really miss being at Byron. Someday I’ll make a strong pass at that place. That track is is an unbelievable place. Similar to Cecil County.

MW Drags will be at Cecil in July - I’m going to do my best to let one rip there.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There was a handful of local guys I knew pretty well on sick summer. I was 100% in to go when announced but with having a 1 month old at home I decided to stay home and do dad duty haha..

Josh won NA small block with his high winding SBC red stack injected Nova in the mid-high 9's. He also won a gearvendor
Travis won street 275 in his FORD windsor powered BLOWTHROUGH turbo fox mustang with like an 8.56 average or something.
Cooper and Erik who own my old Century wagon (now turbo LS powered) ran in the 11.70's due to no cage. Cooper is like 11 and had a BLAST. Super happy to see the car ended up with owners who are using it, having so much fun and enjoy it.

Ed Ensor ran like a 7.50 NA? Nuts
Devin ran like 6.75 something average in a 275 convertible Vanilla Ice mustang? Nuts

The crowd at Great Lakes was massive as always.

275ish cars in total count.

Bummer the live feed didn't focus on the average guy as much. HR Drag week does much better there.

And for people that think their car isn't fast enough, there were 275ish cars that went and about half are slower than 11.50. The internet likes to say OMG YOU DON"T RUN 8'S WHY R Y SO SLOWWWW!!
There are maybe 1000 cars nationally that can do a real drag and drive type event and run faster than 11.50. And maybe 100 show up to a few big events each a year.

Despite what the internet tells you, if you drive to the track in a 12 second or faster older car, you are in the vast minority!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor